Homeward Bound


Advertisement
Bulgaria's flag
Europe » Bulgaria » Sofia City » Sofia
August 24th 2009
Published: August 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Our growing laziness had not evaded us and our estimated time of departure from Plovdiv began to be aimed much later during the day. The "fast" train was slightly too soon for us to move from the cosy garden social area in the hostel, and we were ambivalent as to getting the "slow" train since we had little else planned that day really! Plus the slower train was a little cheaper as our faux budget tightened. After about three and a half hours, we arrived in the capital of Bulgaria - Sofia!

Now, our treat... We had decided earlier on in the trip that it would be rather lovely to stay in a hotel in Sofia to treat ourselves at the end of the trip, go home rested and clean, and enjoy the privacy of a twin room! So after some brief searching on the slowest internet connections in the world, we had come across the Gloria Palace Hotel at half price! The hotel was pretty good - the rooms were soundproofed to protect from the deafening trams, had air conditioning, and a television with BBC World News - what more could you want!? However, we both agreed there's no way we would have paid full price for the room - 4* bulgaria is not the same as 4* western europe... Anyway, it suited us, the location was extremely central and breakfast was included! We even delved into the minibar, but only for water and coca-cola.... That night, the television was much abused and we watched some bizarre time travel film with a young Hugh Jackman and Meg Ryan, followed by some semi gangster film featuring the most annoying character Vince Vaughn has ever played - it must have been fairly old because he was skinny as, and had more hair.

On Sunday, our last full day on holiday, we took the Sofia lonely planet walking tour! These walking tours require little thinking and are therefore somewhat perfect for the end of the trip. Though, we have to say, Sofia doesn't really have that many sights of notable interest... About halfway through, we were just looking forward to the end of the tour which ended in a park with cafes for lunch! However, Sunday the 23rd August was an important day - there was a grand prix (formula 1) to watch!!! Woop!!! So, poor Vicky was dragged to an Irish pub so that I could watch the grand prix. Although there was a Tottenham/West Ham match on as well on a different screen. We looked very weird sitting next to each other, having a beer/cider, yet not looking at each other while having our conversation! Further to this, the ashes were on. Now not that we understand cricket or even claim to, we checked the "score" (is it a score?) on the way out of the pub, only to get chatting to an australian and a kiwi. Now, we had learnt at the previous hostel that England had quite a good chance of winning the ashes. So, we saw the opportunity for some mocking and joined them for a drink. We hadn't intended to stay that long, but the pace of the game/match(?) increased and before we knew it, England needed one wicket to win the ashes (get us and our cricket knowledge eh...). So anyway, we saw England win the ashes and got to take the piss out the australian and hurt him furthermore by the fact we know little about cricket and care even less. I think the most hurtful point was when England won, I clapped, stopped and said, oh hang on, have we won then? The look of despair on the australian's face was a picture.

Afterwards, we went for dinner, and by coincidence, the girls the oz/kiwi were travelling with were at the same pizza place, so once we had finished our meals, we joined them for a last drink. Then it was back to the hotel and get ready to go home the next day!

Continuing our holiday in style, we took a taxi to the airport. The other reason for this being that the staff were faily clueless about the airport shuttle we'd read of in our guide book. Anyway, it didn't really matter, the taxi was only a fiver. Now, we had grand hopes for Sofia airport - it looked very modern as we approached, however, this is clearly just a masquerade. Sofia airport is rubbish. A coffee was extortionate (well, £2.25 but that's extortionate in Bulgaria), had the most terrible food cafe ever (I considered my meal sustenance, not nutrition) and was just generally apalling, most disappointed. PLUS, the stupid woman at Bulgaria air who checked us in TOGETHER actually put us in seats in different rows!!!! Unfortunately we noticed this too late, but then we didn't really expect it! Especially as we were some of the first people to check in - it's not as if we turned up 2mins before the end or anything. Then, on the plane, someone had agreed to move due to the attraction of an aisle seat over his middle seat and then just went to sleep and upon waking, didn't mention anything. We understand there's no obligation on his part to move but why say yes, then not do anything?! Psh.

Anyway, in the end we made it to Heathrow actually earlier than planned and had a great view of the London landmarks as we came in to land. As we emerged from the airport onto the grimey streets, we knew we were back in London. This was further enforced by the stupidest chavs on the bus, who thought they were great at imitating Skepta, JME and Snoop. In the end I (Fiona) couldn't hold back from telling them they were s**t, as everyone else just put up with it. Not that they stopped though, and they unfortunately alighted at the same stop as myself - chav central aka North Cheam. No problems though, people really should tell other people off more on buses, and not just put up with such nonsense but I won't get into that rant.

So all in all, our trip is over and we are home. We hope you have enjoyed/endured our blog well and photos should be up online somewhere at some point soon! Vickytoria is in Birmingham now until Friday (28th) and I myself, am in the WP until the 31st august when I part for Strasbourg and imminent homelessness! So hope to see many of you soon. Over and OUT!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.218s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0382s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb