Day 23 - one more step back into history


Advertisement
Bosnia and Herzegovina's flag
Europe » Bosnia & Herzegovina » East » Sarajevo
June 16th 2015
Published: May 7th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Sarajevo comes etymologically from « Saray » which means « palace » in the Turkish language that was spoken in the Ottoman Empire.



After a restful night, we bought our breakfast at the local “Konzum” and went back to the exhibition to listen to the guided tour, which was really worth it, to get a good general view about the dark side of history of Bosnia-Herzegovina. We also had a glance at the “Sacré-Coeur” church, located right next to the exhibition. In front of it, the Pope Jean-Paul II in stone is standing, to remind the population of his visit. This city is incredible and stays in your mind for at least one reason: you can find a catholic cathedral, an orthodox church, a mosque and a synagogue. All of them in the same city, earlier ravaged by religious purposed wars. We headed then up to the Latin Bridge, from where Gavrilo Princip murdered Franz Ferdinand, which gave the green light to the First World War to start.



We also recommend you to visit the city-hall, which host exhibitions from time to time. The one we saw was about Sarajevo from 1914 – 1995. The orchestra has its rehearsals there. The building was destroyed during the Siege and completely removed in 2014.



To note that the orthodox cathedral costs « only for tourists »!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0478s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb