Day 22 - Miss Sarajevo


Advertisement
Bosnia and Herzegovina's flag
Europe » Bosnia & Herzegovina » East » Sarajevo
June 15th 2015
Published: April 29th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Having heard that going by train from Mostar to Sarajevo was magical, we decided to try it and booked it for 7 in the morning. Well-known for its landscapes all along and its slowness, the carriages were not as modern as in Switzerland, but still quite comfortable. It was beautiful indeed! Once arrived in Sarajevo, about two and half hours later, we went towards the city centre, where we started looking for the hostel. The guy from the tourist office could luckily help us in finding out where the hostel hid.



On the door, a small paper was hanging saying “call me”. The owner told us check-in time was later and we should wait. Annoyed, irritated even, we went into a café with our huge backpacks, not wanting to visit the city with them on our back.







We had booked the attic room, not imagining a second at all that it could be THAT attic. What is more, the bed was barely big enough for me, so image what it was like for my boyfriend. We had booked for a double-room, which was rather one-and-a-half-bedroom. The toilets stunk, the kitchen was not a kitchen, a sponge was dying in the kitchen, laying in a niggardly state. To top it all off, we only saw the owner again, when he wanted us to pay! Not a single word about the city, he didn't even ask if we were okay and just forgot who we were, asking for instance if we had a reservation, one afternoon, as we were coming back from the city centre. We left a really bad review behind, on the review wall and on booking of course. We definitely advise you against this hotel.







We bumped into an exposition about Srebrenica, a big genocide that remains unknown by the majority of foreigners. They were showing films and pictures, telling us the story of thousands of people, who died in Srebrenica and about the Sarajevo siege. It was a really taking experience. Maybe you know the song “Miss Sarajevo”, which was inspired by the beauty contest, which was organised in Sarajevo during the siege. Hope was still here, hidden between the daily running in the streets to avoid being shot and daily struggle to find something to eat. The exhibition is really worth it and you can use your ticket also the next day. It is really difficult to bear the sight of those picture, and that is why if you need a break from horror, do not hesitate to visit it over two days. We tried a local speciality: kind of a fried bread – the Montenegrin version alike – accompanied by fresh cheese and dried meat, as well as the special pancakes.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0541s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb