Sarajevo - where history was made (think Franz Ferdinand)


Advertisement
Bosnia and Herzegovina's flag
Europe » Bosnia & Herzegovina » East » Sarajevo
June 27th 2011
Published: June 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Sarajevo mosqueSarajevo mosqueSarajevo mosque

(but which one!)
27 June – Mostar to Sarajevo – almost an hourly bus so got 11am - very crowded and some people standing half the way who got on later. At about 3pm arrived in Sarajevo after getting the tram from rail which is a bit out and taking a stab at where to get off at the Cathedral (it does a loop thru the old city so not that bad to pick). There are so many churches/temples/mosques here it is called the new Jerusalem. Stayed in the Vienna Annex of the Art Hotel – round the corner from the bigger Art and effectively 6 rooms above the Vienna Café. Then went for walk around - spoke to a Bosnian guy now living in Norway (he had been sent away by his parents) with a couple of his friends in a bar and snapped them (strangely enough eating later at the Maroko restaurant (Moroccan style décor) at the hotel later spoke to 2 Norwegian guys who are in the engineering business and have a company here and spend time split between Norway and Bosnia). Rambled around the city and river-side and of course found the Latin Bridge where Mr Princip assassinated Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife – all cos the Czech chauffeur made a mistake and turned into wrong street and was trying to reverse out (a fluke accident that is generally said to have been the impetus for WW1 starting a month later). Pathetically short visit to Sarajevo but at least I found that. I did say those transport connections etc….


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

National Bank (I think)National Bank (I think)
National Bank (I think)

that's a muscly pair (girl on L)
a nice buildinga nice building
a nice building

could not work out from map what
the main POthe main PO
the main PO

(par avion maybe??)


Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 9; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0655s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb