Still in Sarajevo


Advertisement
Bosnia and Herzegovina's flag
Europe » Bosnia & Herzegovina » East » Sarajevo
February 9th 2009
Published: February 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

just had to update again today

so we're back at the internet cafe looking up some stuff for slovenia (skiing, hotels, transportation, etc) and we're in an internet cafe FULL of local boys (men) screaming and shouting and all playing doom or some equally inane computer game and acting like a bunch of children! from the noise in here you wouldn't know but it was a rockin night club or a sports arena....

anyways, after the last entry, i managed to hike up another hill on the east side of town and got treated to the best views yet! too bad jeff was too lazy and stayed in to read. the sun setting over the mountains west of the city, the river winding through, the dozens of minarets ("bell towers" of mosques) towering over the houses perched along hte hills, with their red clay tile roofs, snow capped peaks in teh distance, fiery red and orange clouds floating by... if you can't tell, i thoroughly enjoyed it.

after that we headed out to find some supper. just down the street there was a steak house, so in we went. i had rib eye steak, potatoes, brussel sprouts (first time in my life i think), cauliflower, salad (lettuce, parmesean cheese and vinegarette), bread with garlic butter and a coke. jeff had veal medallions and similar sides with a beer. but expensive - 54 convertible marks (bosnian currency) - about 40 bucks altogether.

i am going to stop by for some cake or something equally sweet and sinful after internet. they all look so good sitting in the windows just calling out to be eaten.

we managed to book a flight out tomorrow - leaving at 330 from sarajevo to ljubljana. had lots of trouble earlier trying to get it to accept visa - it was trying to tell us they only took amex. anyways, sorted and booked and will save us 2 days of travel on trains/buses and not much more expensive really. so the plan now is to ski in the Julian Alps in Slovenia on Wednesday, stay in Bled for two nights tomorrow and wednesday, then head into ljubljana on thursday. I am hoping to take an overnight train into Munich thursday night, and let jeff head off to the airport on friday for his flight home.

again i cannot overemphasize the hilarity of the dozen grown men acting like children with their computer war games. some are pushing middle age and screaming and shouting. hard to concentrate.

see you in slovenia!

Advertisement



19th February 2009

Computer Games
Well Jason, You know some people do take their computer games rather seriously. What were the brussel sprouts like?

Tot: 0.329s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0639s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb