Skiing on Mount Vlasic Bosnia


Advertisement
Bosnia and Herzegovina's flag
Europe » Bosnia & Herzegovina » Central » Trevnik
October 17th 2017
Published: October 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Any significant excursion into the Balkans would not be complete without a skiing expedition on Mount Vlasic, Bosnia. And the best time to visit would arguably be around new year’s eve when the place is packed with tourists celebrating in the newly fallen snow.

The Vlasic mountain ridge dominates the area like a massive fortress, with numerous springs, forests, and pastures and it is a tourist attraction site of significant economic importance in the region. Significant peaks include Paljenic, Decani, and Galicia and each is well marked with numerous routes that are linked to Travnik city by some 25 km of macadamized roads.

The nearest airport to Vlasic resort is Banja Luka International airport which is 75 km away.

The Vlasic ski resort is located in Canton, Federation of Bosnia and the nearest town is Travnik, which overlooks the mountain. For snowboarding and skiing, visitors have access to 10 km of slopes and five ski lifts to transport guests. The main winter sports areas are located between elevations of 1200 and 1,500 meters.

The highest peak in Paljenic towering an elevation of 1,950 meters and is famous for its lush pastures, cattle breeding, dairy, and cheese. Here’s a chance to enjoy skiing with breathtaking views and delightful local cuisine.

Opening times are 9.00 – 16:00. And are provided by the ski resort and may vary depending on external conditions, school holidays, public holidays and days of the week.

How to reach the mountain

From the town of Travnik, head towards Jajce until you reach the small village of Turbe. Turn right and drive some 20 to 25 minutes. There are marked signs on the road, and you cant get lost. This drive offers you stunning views of the surrounding ski neighborhoods and gives you a chance to record mentally the favorite spots you’d like to venture out.

Paljenic, the highest peak can only be reached on foot and not by ski lift. Being a popular destination much of the year, you can ski, snowshoe, snowboard, and hike during the cold months but during the warmer months you can cycle through the numerous tracks or just enjoy the sunshine.

Where to stay

There are plenty of affordable small hotels with decent accommodation. There are a few medium-sized hotels and many private houses for rent. The tourist's spots are well developed, and you can also find cottages for rent. Some of the best hotels include Oaza Mira, Villa Ugar and Hotel Blanca resort and spa.

What to eat

Cheese is a favorite food for many so you may need to try it out. You can order any meal, but it has to be accompanied with cheese, doughnuts and a home-made specialty, palenta.

Cheese is produced using non-pasteurized sheep milk immediately after milking in mountain sheds called katuns. It remains in the mountain for up to 2 – 3 months for aging.

The ski lifts

Here is a list of the main ski lifts:


• The Babanovac. Its length is 1070 meters and carrying capacity per hour is 1000
• Visovi. Its range is 670 meters and sending capacity per hour is 1000
• Markovic. Its length is 670 meters and carrying capacity is 650 per hour
• T Bar. The range is 300 meters and carrying capacity is 700 per hour
• Baby Lift. Length is 300 meters and carrying capacity is 700 per hour.


Hope you'll enjoy the mountain 😊

Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 48; dbt: 0.047s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb