Stranded in Flanders


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur » Saint-Raphael » Brugge
September 8th 2005
Published: December 19th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Well there's worse places to be stranded in!

We made our way into Brugge (Bruges) in the morning. After poking about a bit, we wroked out it would be worth going to Zeebrugge, not to board the ship, but to go to the beach as the temperature was getting hot.

So we took the local train out the Zeebrugge and wandered down to the beach. Weekday the train drops you off well away from the beach, so the walk to the beach is a bit crap along a dual carriageway for about 8 minutes.

Anyway once there, the beach has plenty of space. There are some bars on the front and it is a good place to spend the odd hour or so. The sea tempature is much warmer than off the Yorkshire North Sea Coast. I checked this later on
Wetterzentrale
- worth a look if you fancy a dip in the North Sea or North Atlantic area!

We returned to Brugge in the afternoon and went for a look at the Beguine nunnery. These nuns had decided to run things entirely independently from the established church. A couple of houses had been preserved to show life as it had been in the 1600s.

Later on we caught the ferry bus to the terminal. We had a smooth journey overnight back up the North Sea to Hull.

9 September

Back in Leeds we had a nasty shock. Our house had been burgled, and our builder, who had been working in our house, was left with no tools. All the repair work had been halted. Kasia's laptop had been stolen, as had some of my tools and a DVD drive. My laptop was still hidden, and the PhD, (which was backed up anyway) was still intact!

Despite the chaos, the race was on to hand in the PhD at the end of September.

29 September
Handed in the thesis!







Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Zeebrugee BeachZeebrugee Beach
Zeebrugee Beach

That's our ferry in the background. We caught it this time.


Tot: 0.226s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 34; qc: 118; dbt: 0.1167s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb