Belgium 4 - Waterloo - a feat of women


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » Walloon Brabant » Waterloo
November 1st 2010
Published: April 21st 2013
Edit Blog Post

We felt pretty Abba'd out as we sang Waterloo over and over again our visit to Waterloo. This is a second attempt at putting this blog on. I put it on way back in October 2011 but managed tonight to delete it as I added photographs to the blog. What a mess as I have no way of really remembering what happened on that day.

Parking was pretty easy as we were in the car and managed to find plenty of empty spaces in and around the memorial to the Battle of Waterloo. We paid our money and walked on to the site. From what I can remember there was a restaurant cafe on site but it was not particularly good and we decided to give it a miss. I cannot remember how much it cost to go in and there was no real museum to see.

It was possible to go around the battle fields in small buses/4 x 4's and be given a guided tour of the area. We decided not to bother but for anyone interested in battles and particular the Battle of Waterloo it could have been particularly interesting.

The mound was interesting and had been built by women. How they built the mound I cannot even hazard a guess but it can be seen from miles around. The area was quiet and the top of the mound reached by a long set of steps. It was only possible to walk up one by one and there was no room for passing along the way. After a long haul to the top the view was well worth the walk. It was possible to see the battle field and to see the plan of the field and work out who fought where on the field. I didnt know much about the battle as my history lessons started in 1763 and stopped at the start of the first world war.

The day was quiet and we sat a while on the top enjoying the view. To top the monument was a statue of a very imposing lion.



A lovely day and worth the visit.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



23rd April 2013

History lesson!
The Battle of Waterloo was fought in 1815 resulting in Napoleon's defeat. This battle changed Europe. Sorry about you having deleted your blog...maybe you can ask Travel Camel or Jo Trouble for help restoring the original blog...they are the administrators.
24th April 2013

deleted the blog
Hi Bob thanks for that I never thought to do anything like that . I suppose I guessed it was gone forever. If they can get it back it will be brilliant as I put a lot more information on it ., I bet you are feeling odd being back after such a wonderful trip . The Silk Road is so evocative. We have a Silk Road in Macclesfield and it is lined with old mills that used to use silk . We are off tomorrow for France so hopefully the blogs will become a touch more interesting although not as interesting as yours. Perhaps you will remember some of the places that we are visiting. we start at Bergues in northern france then on to Trier in germany, down to Lake Bled in Slovenia and right down to Dubrovnik with a bit of Italy thrown in. Been following Tales of a Woolly Mammoth . What a shame that motorhoming didnt work out for them. We find Suzy is a tad expensive to run and she doesnt always get where we want to go to but hey ho that is half the adventure - plan and change the plan. Hopefully their tents and Oliver will work better for them.

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0431s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb