Day 13 - Sedan, France to Bastogne, Belgium


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » Luxembourg » Bastogne
September 22nd 2018
Published: September 22nd 2018
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day 13


After a good nights sleep was had by all, we were ready to start in on another day. We all loved this hotel. It was very unique, with it's interior and Exterior walls made of stone. We discovered that during the war, the Germans had occupied the fort and the section where the hotel is now located was a concentration camp. We enjoyed a leisurely breakfast, then headed to Bastogne, Belgium, where we would learn more about the battle of the Bulge, and WW 2.

Following directions from "Giselle", our GPS, we found ourselves on a tiny dirt road in the middle of nowhere. Diane and I insisted we were on the wrong road, and to turn around. Naturally Ray ignored us and pressed on. A short while later we rounded a bend and there before us was the Belgian War Museum. I hate when that happens.

The tour through the museum was aided by headsets that explained everything in English as we passed by. It is narrated by four individuals, a young Belgian boy of 13, his Belgian school teacher, a German soldier, and an American soldier from the 101st Airborne. As you pass the many vignettes, you get to hear about them from each of their perspectives. There are many artifacts here, as well as three short films detailing Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge. It is very well done, and explains the entire war, from the German buildup until the end of the war.

Leaving the Museum, we hurried over to the Belgiun Military Barracks that provides two tours a day through their facility. It was here that McCauliffe received his orders to hold Bastogne from the German invasion. It was also here that he received the famous demand to surrender from the German Commander who had the city surrounded. McCauliffe's famous response was typed here. It just said "NUTS". There is also an unbelievable tank museum here, with dozens of WW2 tanks from all of the involved countries. In addition, there are numerous track vehicles and heavy artillery pieces as well. There is also a restoration facility run by the Belgian Army and volunteers from the surrounding area. Very interesting work they're doing restoring these old relics to working condition.

After leaving, we located our hotel in Bastogne and checked in. Following a short rest period and some wine, we all headed out to dinner in a very nice restaurant.

Another full day, but at least we're getting to bed at a decent hour tonight.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement







22nd September 2018

Bastogne
I've enjoyed following you on your trip. In many cases to areas I visited several years ago, including Bastogne. Great pictures ! Keep them coming. Best to All.
23rd September 2018

Just amazing
Enjoy

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 38; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb