Alsace France


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » Hainaut » Charleroi
December 8th 2008
Published: December 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello Evryone,
Last weekend i went with my host family to Alsace France to see the Xmas Markets. Canada has nothing in comparrison to this.

Friday we drove the 5 hours to Alsace and on the way we stopped at this really cool place to eat-which is a pig farm-and they have a lot of smoked pork here. We got to our hotel at like 11 so we just went to sleep after that

Saturday was a pretty busy day. We were out all day going to 3 villages in all to look at the different xmas markets. They are like our farmers markets in Canada except the booths are actually like little houses with roofs and everything is all dect up in xmas decorations. There are hundreds of them all together so it actually looks like a little town inside of a town. THeres thousands of people out looking at them too, all buying food and crafts and pottery and anything else you can imagine. One of the towns had a Medevil thing going on which i loved. A lot of the town people were all dressed up and they even had activites set up for the toursits too-it was like Barkerville a bit. There was also shops that you can go in that have just xmas decorations ot shops with just handpainted toys, it was increadble and it really helped in getting me in the xmas spirit. THat day i tried hot wine which was really good, macroones-which are those little traingular shapped cookies that are actually from alsace aparently. For lunch we had a tarte flambee which is another alscian dish. Its really good sorta like an omlette but thinner. THey also have this bread in the market thats litterly the biggest loaf of bread ive ever seen. During the night it was amazing with all the xmas lights and people singing xmas carols. I tried hot chestnuts which was also really good. THen we had supper and because i ate so much that day i decided to eat a goat chesse salad. My host parents though ate an alsacian plate which is potatoes, ham, sausage, and then this vegatable they call chocroot-i have no idea what it is.
The last night we checked out another village too before going home.
All in all it was an amazing trip and i cant wait for the next one next weekend in Germany, to see the xmas markets there for a day.
Love you all and miss you.
Becca


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

GypsiesGypsies
Gypsies

Girls dressed up for the Medevil festival
FriarFriar
Friar

Drunk guy dressed up as a friar. They had this box that said theres the villages stupid person inside and it ended up being just a mirror inside with your face looking up at you, lol


9th December 2008

Christams Spirit
Hi Rebecca, I am so glad you are seeing all these wonderful sights in Europe - the Christmas markets sound wonderful - what a wonderful way to get into the Christmas spirit! I would love to see them - as it certainly beats our Wal Marts in North America - which take me out of the Christmas Spirit! Love, Mum
25th July 2009

wine
the best Wine in the WORLD

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb