And then the Sun came out....in Ghent


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » East Flanders » Gent
June 2nd 2008
Published: June 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Men At WorkMen At WorkMen At Work

To think..It's legal...funny thought indeed..
When we first arrived in Ghent from Bruges our spirits were low! There was overcast and it was just Dull in general....I guess we had low expectations of the place right from the start and the tram ride from the station to the centre didn’t help shape our opinions in the slightest. The place just looked stingy and not most attractive town I’ve come across. From the walk to our hostel it didn’t appear to be all that exciting. It just seemed dead or something. However it wasn’t long before that changed. Last minute that evening we decided to take a boat ride as the driver was ever so friendly and convincing you could say. Once we saw the city from the water EVERYTHING changed….

The sun came out and the town was almost glorious to look at, from every angle. The driver was hilarious and everyone warmed to him quickly, telling us all the tales, myths and truth behind this quaint town. We soon realized why it first appeared dead. We arrived Saturday morning in a town that is know as the “the city of the students”. It’s full of college students during the week and then the city
Boat TripBoat TripBoat Trip

The trip that changed ghent for us..forever,.,,
never sleeps. When a tourist asked what the difference was between Bruges and here, a local replied “there is no difference but we just sleep less”. How aptly put. We were told constantly when we were in Bruges that the nightlife in Ghent was far far far better and when we arrived here we just couldn’t contemplate that. However now it all becomes clear. It is altogether less touristy then Bruges. It is a young and vibrant city with much history. At one point this place was as big as London, hard to believe that today, but it is true.

Ghent has some of the nicest tree’s I’ve ever seen. It has one street where Graffiti is legal and oh my god it will actually blow you away if you ever make it there. Ghent is full of Churches, with over fifty at least scattered among the town.

James described the place well when he said that, this would have been as popular as Bruges if they had simply began to maintain it earlier. They are making huge efforts however to revive it now, making it a beautiful and promising tourist destination in the near future.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

GhentGhent
Ghent

From this very bridge...is the most beautiful view of the town...they can't be far wrong there i'd say..
TERRIFIEDTERRIFIED
TERRIFIED

the closer we got to the top..the smaller and smaller and smaller it got...
Ghent..again,,Ghent..again,,
Ghent..again,,

View from their very own bellfry..
Graffiti StreetGraffiti Street
Graffiti Street

I liked it..A LOT..
Ghent in a DayGhent in a Day
Ghent in a Day

Mr Map Man Sir...


Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0488s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb