21 September 2019: Ghent, Canal Cruise, ....Forgot The SD Card Reader .


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » East Flanders » Gent
September 21st 2019
Published: September 21st 2019
Edit Blog Post

Went to transfer some photos onto my iPad and realised that I left the SD reader in my camera bag in Luxembourg.

Can’t blame the blog site this time; it’s my fault.

I’ll keep this brief - something I don’t seem to grasp - and head out to take a few with my phone.

The pictures tell the Gent, or Ghent story, but I’ll give it a go.

I’ve been to Bruges before, but as it is becoming so popular that the local government wants to control the amount of buses that visit on day trips, we decided Ghent was closer and a good alternative.

We left Luxembourg at 9am and the road to Ghent is a pretty boring highway, with little to see except the tops of small villages, wind turbines, and forests that look like they have had a path mown through them for the highway to pass through. Tall trees create green wall that conceal all that is beyond it.

To those who know it, it is the Hume Highway of Europe. A means to an end.

We did pass by Namur, the small city that Australia‘s federal finance minister, Matteus
The Next Door GardenThe Next Door GardenThe Next Door Garden

These neighbours are green people. It’s a nice outlook from the seating at Tim’s place.
Corman was educated at; a stand alone highlight which confirms the excitement of the drive. From all accounts he did well, and after recently reading a book on Scott Morrison’s accession to the Prime Minister‘s throne, I think Matteus must have scored an A+ in Cunning 101.

Parking in Ghent can be a bit expensive but we were fortunate to find a spot 15 minutes from the edge of the old town, and left the car to proceed on foot. At one stage we saw a brightly lit up club called the Crazy something, and we wandered down the lane speculating why a night club would be open at that time of day. It was in a commercial, residential area, so it came as a surprise to pass small windows with lounge chairs, some with scantily clad women gesturing and tapping on the glass. And Sue was with us.

We had stumbled into a ‘ special’ business district, turned around, and left the now disinterested women to relax and continue their knitting , or however else they kill their time.

Ghent is a busy, crowded tourist destination, and it‘s obvious why. It is more diverse and beautiful
Old Ghent Fish Market.Old Ghent Fish Market.Old Ghent Fish Market.

Recently refurbished at a cost of 10,000,000€, and part of it now acts as the Tourist Information Centre
than Bruges, and the promenade along the canal is a favourite destination for drinkers, people eating crepes and waffles, cones of fries, all sorts of sausages with a choice of a dozen or more sauces, or settling in for an afternoon of dining and drinking as the crowds pass by.

There is also a strong smell of marijuana in small clusters but I don’t think this is a place where the police will bother you in that regard.

We couldn’t access our accommodation until 3 pm so we booked a canal cruise and spent an hour slowly motoring along narrow canals, with a commentary by the skipper of our small boat. It was a different view of Ghent, and helps you get your bearings by identifying various landmarks. Unfortunately my pics of this are locked in my camera until Monday.

We enjoyed a traditional culinary treat , eating Belgian Freitas, or fries , while dangling our legs into the canal, and a sausage made from an unidentifiable meat with onions on the side. A big dollop of mayo is slapped on the chips as they are handed over. The smells of the crepes, waffles and grilled meat
The Gravensteins, The 11th Century Castle The Gravensteins, The 11th Century Castle The Gravensteins, The 11th Century Castle

Originally built from timber, and reconstructed in its present stone in the 11th century.
as you pass by the medieval buildings, along the canals, and get lost on the streets that fall off in all directions away from the water, were enough to draw the strongest willed person in, and I’m going out later with Tim and Sue to see Ghent by night. It’s exceeded my expectations and we have until midday Monday to keep exploring.

Tim will drive back tomorrow afternoon, and Sue and I will negotiate the rail system and try to reach the station near Tim and Natalia‘s place on Monday. Tim thinks it may take about 3 trains and 5 hours. If everything goes to plan. We don’t have a plan.

I’ll use my phone as a camera and use the camera sparingly.

I’ll post a few pics on my return from a walk. There’s about 15 drunk Scotsmen wandering the streets drinking at the moment, and I think it’s a bucks turn slowly brewing into a bit of bovver; something we will avoid.

Back without incident. Saw a few hens nights, plenty of people dining out on Saturday night, and lovely buildings reflected off the canals.

Catch up tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement







Great Butchers HallGreat Butchers Hall
Great Butchers Hall

The old meat market was established to ensure the quality of meat sold. Premises nearby , tripe houses, sold the products not deemed to be quality meat. Until the 19th century, all meat had to pass through these doors.
Old Meat Market Ceiling Old Meat Market Ceiling
Old Meat Market Ceiling

Now is a classic Flemish brick building, used to promote local goods.
The Margaret Bridge In The Distance The Margaret Bridge In The Distance
The Margaret Bridge In The Distance

To its right is the Margaret Church


23rd September 2019

Love the holiday reading
I’m throughly enjoying the reads although I have had to wait a tad later to read these ones as internet on Hamilton Island is sometimes hit and miss, just love holidays...keep up the great posts.
23rd September 2019

Hamilton Island. Fantastic.
It’s the right time for you to take a break. We’re slowly winding down and reality strikes on October 1st. Have fun and we’ll catch up soon.

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0532s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb