Finally at long last... an update on the Levins


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » Brussels-Capital Region
April 23rd 2009
Published: April 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hi Everyone,

I know it has been a LONG time since I have posted a blog entry, so please forgive me. This entry will update you on everything with Marc and I, and for some of you with whom I have more regular (OK… regular for me) correspondence some of this will be a repeat, so I hope you can bear with me. First Marc and I have been back in the states, in Huntsville, Alabama since mid November last year

Here goes….

Back almost a year ago, we were told that we would probably be leaving Japan after our two years were up. Without going into all the nitty gritty details, suffice it to say: budget constraints, etc. So, we were really disappointed, but at the same time we both felt so fortunate to be able to have had the time there that we did. In addition, having almost a full year notice was nice as we were able to pack in a lot of sightseeing and traveling around the Orient that we might have put off otherwise. There is still a lot that we didn’t get to see. Oh well…. There is only so much time and so much money.

We were told that there was a small (read that very tiny) chance that Marc might get an assignment in Brussels, Belgium. Needless to say that since we love to travel, we were ecstatic! We were told at the time that the chances of us getting this assignment were only about 3 % but we crossed our fingers and toes and said a prayer….one can hope right?

For several months we were still hoping that “the powers that be” would change their minds and we would be able to stay in Japan, OR that we would get the Brussels assignment. Given we were not 100% sure we were leaving Japan, and we had a slim chance at Brussels or several other possibilities in the states, the last 4 or 5 months in Japan were very frustrating. It seemed that every few days we would be told that it was likely that we would stay in Japan, then the next day definitely not. Then the next day the Brussels assignment would look really promising, then, the next day it wouldn’t. We lived like that literally for months as we kept getting different news every few days.

One day Marc had an early morning teleconference and was told that we would definitely not get Belgium. We both sat there really disappointed and I knew I would just have to accept that we weren’t going to Belgium and were coming back to the states to live. With that in mind I went to take my shower and get dressed. By the time I was finished and I was starting to get used to the idea of coming back to the states we got another call that said that the Brussels assignment might come through after all. Talk about a roller coaster! And things went on like this for months!

About the time August, 2008 rolled around Marc and I decided we were tired of the roller coaster and thought we should try to make some sort of plans as it seemed almost definite that we would be leaving Japan. So… we spent some time deciding where we would like to go if Brussels didn’t come through. Marc had the opportunity to go to Huntsville for a conference and since I had never been there, and it looked like we would be probably move there if Belgium didn’t come through I decided to go with him to see how I liked it. Just before we left for the states, Marc got approval from his company to start house hunting while we were there for his conference. So I worked with a realtor while Marc was in his conference. After looking and looking, Marc decided he would like to build a house rather than buy a resale and that way it would be about ready when we moved there from Japan in November. Marc again (!) checked again with “the powers that be” and was told the chances of Belgium were maybe 5%, if that, so when we found a builder, a floor plan and a lot that we liked we wrote a contract for a new house. We were really excited about it, but we had them put a contingency in the contract that if we were transferred to Belgium instead of Huntsville we could get out of the contract. We signed the contract that afternoon about 4:00 and had literally just walked back into the hotel when Marc got a call telling him the chances for Belgium were now very good and DON’T buy a house! UGH!!!!! Needless to say we were very glad we had had that contingency written into the contract. Two days later we flew back to Japan still not knowing were we would be living in 3 months but knowing that we would either be ecstatic to be living in Belgium OR in a beautiful brand new home in Huntsville.

The last three months we were in Japan were more of the same. One day we would be told Belgium, the next day we wouldn’t. Can you imagine calling a moving company to make arrangements to ship our household goods out of Japan but not knowing where to tell them to ship them? The only thing we could do was laugh! We had planned a long trip in China for October and went ahead, knowing that we would be moving two weeks after we got back, we just didn’t know where. We needed to leave Japan the first week in November (for budget reasons, taxes, etc.) and we still did not know where we would end up so Marc’s company decided to send us to Huntsville temporarily. They did not know where we would end up or how long it would take for someone to decide so they rented a furnished apartment and leased a car for us to use until we knew something… anything!

So we came back to the states, Huntsville, Alabama to be specific, in November. Around the end of December we were told we would be going to Belgium, so we let the contingency on the house expire. As I write this (03/23/2009) we are still “camping out” temporarily in this little apartment waiting to hear when we will be moving to Belgium.

There is so much paperwork! When we went to Japan we were under “status of forces” so we didn’t have to do all the paperwork for visas and work permits. Not so with Belgium. The paperwork for these has been an enormous undertaking. First, we had to get certified copies of our birth certificates and marriage license, and then these had to be sent to the secretary of state in Colorado and Georgia to have apostille certifications. Second, we had to get lung x-rays and blood tests to prove we do not have communicable diseases and then have the Dr write a letter (in French AND Dutch no less) stating we were ok and have the doctor's signature notarized. Third, we had to get complete finger and hand prints done to send to the FBI for complete criminal record checks. Fourth, we had to get copies of both of Marc's college degrees (Needless to say they are in storage in Florida in heaven knows what box!) to prove his qualifications for the job. Alas, for this one we talked them into accepting copies of his college transcripts!

In addition to all of this Marc and his company must also get all the contracts and agreements in place for his international assignment. Suffice it to say that is another enormous undertaking.

In the middle of all of this, we have been trying to get things done here that we won’t be able to do over there or at least easier to do here, like annual physicals, dental exams, etc.
The other day I was at the doctor’s office filling out the standard info forms…. The lady helping fill out the insurance forms said “Let me get this straight…. You have a Florida drivers license, a Colorado phone number, (our permanent “magic phone” # we will have even overseas) a Huntsville address, your last exam was in Tokyo and you are getting checked before moving to Belgium? Is that right” Yep, that about sums up my life these days.

Now finally for the good news…. We finally have a date to leave for Belgium… Our movers come tomorrow to pack and pick up the things we had air shipped to the states in November and will add this to our sea shipment of everything else going to Brussels. We SHOULD BE leaving for Belgium on or about May 1. We are so excited to finally be working towards getting settled. My computer gets packed and shipped tomorrow so I will only be able to check emails periodically until probably the end of May or mid June when we get settled into an apartment in Brussels. I will be able to periodically check email and hopefully update this blog for all of our family and friends. We will keep you all posted……..


Advertisement



23rd April 2009

Bout time you got this all straightened out
Really glad to hear you finally have some closure on where you'll be for the next year (s) ? How long is this assignment? Good that we did get to see you at least once while you were back in the states. Hope Belgium is as wonderful as you are expecting it to be and that you get to do your usual hopping from place to place in all these new and exciting places. Just make sure to keep us posted on your adventures and when you might possibly be back here in Florida again. Have a safe trip.
23rd April 2009

Whew
It's good to hear from you guys. I don't know how in the world you can handle all those gyrations. Brussels sounds fun and probably a cultural 180 for you both. Now I can say I truly know a couple of world travelers. Best to you both. Oh Debi and I will be in Paris June 12th -23rd. We are getting an apartment there. She i sort of working at the Paris Air Show and I am going for the vin e souffle :). Probably no chance to hook up but you never know.
25th April 2009

good to hear from you
I am so excited for you! I know you guys have had a rough time of it.. not knowing where you will be living etc..but if anyone can handle it I know you can..Once you get your computer set up, please e-mail me you phone number. and Enjoy! Take Care!
28th April 2009

whew!
Thanks for the update! And they always said MITRE was a boring company to work for.... Marc, saw a bunch of COS folks at the Gatlinburg tournament who said to tell you hi and that you and Arlene are still missed! So sorry we weren't able to connect before you left. But we'll still be here in "Geezer Heaven" when you return to the States and will be happy to show you around. All best wishes in the move! Drop an email when you can.
5th May 2009

Brussels at last
So glad to hear you finally arrived in Brussels. Great you were able to get the apartment you wanted. We are looking forward so much to seeing you again on Sea 2 Sea. This is my second post - - don't know what happened to the first one, but hope you get this one !!!

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0544s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb