Sightseeing in Brussels


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » Brussels-Capital Region » Brussels
June 12th 2017
Published: June 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Mannekan Pis in BrusselsMannekan Pis in BrusselsMannekan Pis in Brussels

17th century statue also called the Little Peeing Boy
Gus woke up and moaned about having a headache. We can only put it down to dehydration caused by the long flight and will refute any allegation that it was due to the 8 pints of local beer we guzzled after flying for 22 hours. We walked up the street and bought some ham at the butchers and a French stick for breakfast. The bread in Europe seems so much tastier than that in Melbourne.

After breakfast we a walked in to the city centre for a bit of sight seeing.

places of interest included:

Place de Saint Catherine, built over the foundations of a 14th century church and consecrated in 1874.

Grand Place. Magnificent square surrounded by old buildings. A UNESCO World Heritage area and for good reason. Obviously a hub for tourism. Gus and I tagged onto a walking tour only to discover that they were walking to the train station to catch a train for an hour and tour another city. Lol. We felt like a right couple of idiots!

However, we weren't put off and soon crashed another tour. Apparently when it see free tours it means you have to pay.

Mannekan Pis. One of the most famous statues and one of Brussels more unusual attractions. The small boy pees in to a fountain and is likened to the Statue of Liberty or Big Ben For its notoriety. The statue has over 900 outfits which are put on at various times of the year. During various festivals they connect a beer keg to the boy and he pees out beer ( don't we all).

Lunch was at Balls n Glory. Beautiful meat balls with a glass of D'Achouffe.

Following lunch and a brief rest we headed out for dinner and the traditional holiday haircut. Gus had his Marine lookalike cut to the tune of $12. The rest of the evening was spent in various bars including a tapas bar which served nice food.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Place de St Catherine Place de St Catherine
Place de St Catherine

18th century church


13th June 2017

Have Fun
Nice pics kids. Sorry I tried ringing please accept this text Rick ?
14th June 2017

Change your blog to Pissheadonabike
Looks great mate. I'm just heading of for my haircut. Will cost me 10,000Rp or $1 Aus. On Friday I go to Darwin for my annual Barramundi fishing trip. Only beer to choose here is Bintang.
14th June 2017

After a few beers...
Vertigo photographers! So you saying the slant has nothing to do with Belgium beer? Looking good guys, ready to read the next days adventure.

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0446s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb