Benelux: Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Brugge, Brussels


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » Brussels-Capital Region » Brussels
August 6th 2010
Published: August 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hey folks,

The last two weeks were nothing, but fascinating and I really don't know where to start things up. It is amazing how a city can be so different and so close. We fell in love with Brugge medieval architecture and adore the very laid-back atmosphere surrounding Amsterdam. We didn't like ugly Brussels and boring Rotterdam.

After a very boring train ride from Berlin to Amsterdam. We check in the famous Flying Pig Downtown hostel. The hostel is located meters away from the Red Light district and have a unique party atmosphere, probably due to there hip bar and two smoking rooms. We only had two days in Amsterdam this year and try to make things a bit different, at least do things we didn't do last year. We did not visit any museum or breweries. We did spend time in the Red Light district and visit some of the most infamous and some of the most famous Coffeeshop. However, we visit the Red Light district in a tour to make sure we will see and learn things about this well-known neighborhood other that in which alley there is the hottest girl. By the way, there is a
Still alive momStill alive momStill alive mom

the Delirium menu
kindergarten straight in the middle of the district. We also did a free tour of the city, something we didn't care about last year. The best part of the tour was for sure when it was done. The guide took us for some drinks and a bit of Amsterdam goodies in some of his favorite place way outside the touristic circus.

Rotterdam was a completely different thing. First-of-all, what makes Amsterdam what it is, is the three rules every single business or people confirm too. Things always as to be good for business, discrete and cant hurt anybody. This is one of the reason you can smoke cigarette in some pubs or smoke soft drug in the city. A lot of things are tolerated. According to the statistics, their tolerance as only benefit the country and they're popular image. Second-of-all, there is just not much to do in Rotterdam. The best thing was for sure Lexie, the hostel dog. Last-of-all, we are not in modern, f*ck up building.Hopefully, there was something going on that we did not expect at all, the carnival. It is kind of a mini version of the Rio DE Janeiro Carnival. So we spent the day watching the parade and rating the girls.

We then move to beautiful Brugge. I seriously doubt anybody may hate this place. I know both of us could settle there for sure. We spent two days tasting beer and walking around all the medieval square of the city. We did a free tour to start and met an Australian with who we enjoy the beer tasting that was organized later on that day by the hostel. We then drink way to much and I really underestimated their 13% beer. My favorite one is the Rochefort 10. We spent our last day waling even more drinking some more beers and visiting a windmill park full of sheep's. We will come back to Brugge and visit Gent for sure.

We are now in Brussels. The city is very ugly and it is very hard for me at least to find even one good thing about the city outside its fantastic beers. The main plaza is worth it, but is also full of tourist. We visit a great pub name Moeder Lambic, where you can enjoy 46 beers on tab and you will have the knowledgeable waiter ever to find you the best one for you. We also visit the original Celtica pub, which as the cheapest beer in town, but nothing else special. We also great us a visit to the very famous Delirium Cafe and they re amazing 2500 beers menu. On our first day, we visit the nice royal palace and Chloe like it a lot. The second day was used to find a way to survive the next do days and find a cheap ride to Paris. Today, we visit the Mont des Arts and it took me all I have to get Chloe out of there. She really love the museum and will let her explain to you why in a future blog.

Time is running out, hope things are well whatever where you are and do not visit the Brasseur Museum, it sucks.

Nick and Chloe

The hostel:

Amsterdam: the Flying Pig

Very nice location, unique Atmosphere, a bit expensive...book in advance, you will save a lot. Nice double bunk beds dorm. The staff is nice and the hostel is very secure. Do not expect to sleep much.

Rotterdam: Room hostel

Very far from the train station, the room are clean and very nice. Some staff are very nice, some do not really know their city. The dog is great and the hostel is kind of quiet. Not sure the hostel is a very up to the standard of the Best Europe Hostel.

Brugge: St. Christopher's Bahaus

A bit far from the train station, but close to the major attraction. Love the pub and nightclub. The staff was nice. The room were OK and we had to go outside to get in our room. Like the ambiance and had a lot of fun. No kitchen!

Brussels: Hello hostel:

Really far from everything. Very clean and nice staff... good hostel, but not much fun to have and just too far.










Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



8th August 2010

:)
Red Light District is a lifetime experience! But, to be sure to have a unforgettable time, you should check out this The Amsterdam Red Light Guide

Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.1109s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb