The grandeur of Brussels


Advertisement
Published: March 13th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Trip to Brussels was a short one. It was just a day trip but enough to remember the grandeur of Brussels.

The first place we headed to was the Grand Place. The grandeur of the Grand palace was splendid. A city square in the centre of the city with the King’s House, Brussels Town Hall and other guild houses stood majestically around the central square. Small streets around led to the Grand Place and these streets were mainly for pedestrians. The streets were crowded with people walking in and out of Grand Place. The facades of some of the guild hoses are decorated in golden paint highlighting the floral designs , logos on the columns and top of the houses.

We then walked down to Manneken Piss. It is a bronze sculpture of a small naked boy urinating. Usually, this boy is dressed in different costumes. I have seen him in a football(soccer) costume and a traditional costume.

Brussels is also home for the world’s best chocolates. We passed by many chocolate shops selling Godiva and other chocolates. The chocolates are so good that they just melt in the mouth in no time.

It is also the home of Tintin – the guy with blue shirt, brown trousers, golden spiked hair and his dog Snowy. I had fun reading Adventures of Tintin comic strips that appeared in newspapers and also the comic books. The feeling of walking in Tintin’s city was wonderful.

There was also Galaries Royales St Hubert – an arched glass roofed shopping complex which houses shops belonging to many famous brands.

We then visited Atomium. Atomium is a massive stainless steel structure in the shape of an atom which is around 335 ft tall. It was built for the 1958 Brussel’s World fair. Well, there are elevators inside the Atomium to go from one sphere to another.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb