Vienna: Guided Tour (26.12.2016) & Schonbrun Palace (27.12.2016)


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna
December 26th 2016
Published: December 30th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Arrived in Vienna on the Christmas evening and set off early the next day for a guided bus/walking tour of the city. Bus took us past some of the more notable sites and I was just so impressed with the size and cleanliness of the buildings. As our guide said, kept the brocket and stone masons in business during the construction phase.

Soon grew tired of our guide when we started the walking tour so there was a breakaway group of 7 of us who decided to explore the city on our own. All of the shops were closed except for souvenir shops and cafes. Found Hard Rock for Bruce so he could get his pins, then we all headed off to Cafe for coffee and cake.

After that we all spilt up, a couple back to ship and the rest of us on our own to explore before catching shuttle bus back to ship.

Next day we opted for tour of Schonbrun Palace. Amazing castle with rather ornate decorations and frescos on the ceilings. Had some free time in the Markets outside the palace before going back to city/ship.

Conditions had turned bittterly cold and Bruce decided to head back to ship as he has been sick with cold for a few days.

I went into the city as I wanted to find the shop where Bruce had seen a miniature Sax that he wanted to buy the day before but shop was closed. After a 40 minute walk re-tracing path from day before, found shop, bought Sax, asked assistant shortest way back to cathedral in centre of city where I started off from. 10 minute walk in the end!!! Never mind, good exercise - and I definitely need that after the trip. Did some other shopping for myself and then caught shuttle back to ship.

That evening we had our disembarkation port talk, followed by captains farewell dinner. We ended up sitting with the breakaway group from the day before and had an absolutely brilliant night. Dinner was followed by Crew Show (which was really terrible and definitely in need of improvement) followed by an impromptu "disco". Hilarious evening followed with over indulgence in Pinacoladas and dancing to Abba.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement




Tot: 0.241s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0598s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb