The Neighborhood


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna
May 18th 2022
Published: May 18th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Look up Look up Look up

So many ornate buildings.
I explored the streets that my friends showed me yesterday. I know where the tailor, shoemaker, chocolate maker, grocer, flower ladies shops are, plus a lot more. Scroll down to read the notes with the many photos that I have taken today.

This neighborhood was once countryside where the Liechtenstein palace was built, and before that there were thousands of years of history that included the Roman Empire. When you walk along the streets you feel the layers of history, especially when you see mature trees. Can you imagine what a100 year old tree has witnessed in Vienna!! Can you imagine a thousand years of history here?

For me, it is candy for my eyes, such artistic architecture, especially when you look up. There are so many cliches walking by….athletic young people who might have over zealous goals about body image, nannies with babes in strollers, old men in white shirts staking out their chairs in cafes early morning, infinitive varieties of people walking infinite varieties of dogs. This neighbourhood is alive with nature somehow fitting healthfully with urban creatures.

This is the French part of Vienna, with French schools. I could hear people speaking French as I
Housing multiple usesHousing multiple usesHousing multiple uses

Schools, doctors offices, nursing homes, artist quarters are behind these walls.
walked along the streets. Before that, this was the Jewish quarter of Vienna. Make sure you read the notes with each photo in this blog. Thousands of Jewish people were rounded up before and during War2 and sent to death camps. Many of their names are on plaques on buildings, and there are quiet displays that act like pensive ghosts that must be acknowledged; if not for the history of injustice but as a reminder that bullies like Putin must be stopped before they take us all to hell. Back to the indulgence of a tourist…. I had my first cappuccino in the street cafe area beside the Catholic Church that now dominates the area. Yes, it’s pretty, but how long will it last in this ever changing European city? Will another religion try to dominate the urban landscape or more likely will a non religious entity take over…(think Walmart or a Chinese outlet)


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Opulence Opulence
Opulence

Not sure what this is
Cafe culture Cafe culture
Cafe culture

Too many places to enjoy
Amazing plants in a city Amazing plants in a city
Amazing plants in a city

Maybe cities do a better job of promoting gardens (on decks or in tight courtyards )?
Chocolate MakerChocolate Maker
Chocolate Maker

Yup, a tasty cliché
Do you see the shadow?Do you see the shadow?
Do you see the shadow?

The fixture has light at night, but during the day you can see the Jewish star shadow. An ancient king once declared that you can follow any religion in this country as long as you were no overly obvious.
Star shadow Star shadow
Star shadow

I wonder if all the souls of the murdered Jewish people take comfort in this shadow display?
Plaque Plaque
Plaque

In several languages it tells of the person who was taken to the death camps. Meanwhile life moves on in each building.
KeysKeys
Keys

These are the keys of every Jewish person or family who was taken away to be murdered. All these properties were then taken over by so-called Christians. Now there is a memorial on the sidewalk under glass. Do you think this is enough of a memorial? When do we really become impatient with ethnic murder?
Catholic churchCatholic church
Catholic church

Fits the bill for that touristy church photo…. Just a few feet from holocaust key memorial
Pretty church Pretty church
Pretty church

Love the yellow colour
Ceiling Ceiling
Ceiling

Catholic/Christian opulence…. A kodac moment
Comply chairComply chair
Comply chair

I sat here to reflect
Gilded gold Gilded gold
Gilded gold

I wonder where it came from…which colony…
Steet with cafés Steet with cafés
Steet with cafés

Will return later
Barbershop Barbershop
Barbershop

In Vienna
Secluded courtyardsSecluded courtyards
Secluded courtyards

When gate is open you can see inside
First cappuccino in Vienna First cappuccino in Vienna
First cappuccino in Vienna

Everyone wears masks in the shops


Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 38; dbt: 0.0675s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb