European Adventure 2013


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna » Vienna
October 31st 2013
Published: November 2nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Prague to ViennaPrague to ViennaPrague to Vienna

Ploughed fields in Austria seen en route
Yesterday we "did" Prague in a day...today it's back on the bus bright & early and off to Vienna!

It was a pleasant enough drive and we arrived in Vienna around lunchtime. We decided to skip the optional sightseeing bus tour and set off to do a self-guided walking tour to some of the many popular sights. We started at St Stephen's Cathedral then on to the Opera House, St Peter's Church, the Hofburg Palace and the Cappuccin Church. So many sights, so little time! We walked and had a cursory look at these places and enjoyed walking through the beautiful pedestrian-only streets in the city centre. The only place where we spent time was the Cappuccin Church which includes a crypt, the Kaisergruft, which holds the coffins of the Hapsburg Kaisers and their relatives. This was amazing - huge ornate pewter coffins containing the remains of so many members of this once-powerful dynasty.

We were running out of time and decided to come back tomorrow morning to continue our tour - we have a few hours of free time before we head to Budapest.

In the evening we went to dinner and a concert at a palace
ViennaViennaVienna

Graben (beautiful street in Vienna)
close to the city centre. This was good fun but rather kitschy! The meal was weinerschnitzel followed by sacher torte, the two great gifts of Vienna to the world of culinary delights. The company was good, the venue was terrific and the food was adequate, so not much to complain about. We then moved to the hall where the concert was to be held and we heard a swag of "Viennese greatest hits" performed by a very entertaining and competent orchestra as well as a couple of singers and dancers. We did wonder whether these artists were on autopilot (how many times must they have played the Blue Danube waltz?) but they did put their best foot forward and everyone had a great time.

Back to the hotel for some sleep, then another early start. We thought this would be a nice relaxing way to finish our holiday, but the frenetic pace is hard to maintain!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

ViennaVienna
Vienna

Decorative roof of St Stephen's Cathedral
ViennaVienna
Vienna

Empress Maria Theresa's tomb in the Kaiserguft (crypt for Royals)
ViennaVienna
Vienna

Other Royal tombs
ViennaVienna
Vienna

Hofburg Palace


Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0641s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb