Where has the snow gone? =(


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna » Vienna
December 20th 2012
Published: December 24th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Leaving foggy Budapest behind we were praying for better weather in Vienna.. and we got it.. kinda... No fog but its still raining.. Where has the snow gone?? =( The 10day forecast for where we are heading isnt looking any better either.. where has the snow gone?? Still hopefully for a white Christmas but not as hopefully as I was..

Vienna is sad to have some of the best Christmas markets in Europe and they (unlike others), did not disappoint. Big, spread out, with different stuff we have come back to the main ones, the Christkindlemarkts outside the Rathaus every day we have been in Vienna.

Schobrunnen Palace- the main sight of Vienna did not disappoint. Inside you can go a self guided tour (along with an audio guide) through the many, many rooms that make up the palace. Simply stunning! And then afterwards you can go for a stroll through the enourmous gardens on the Palace and even go to the Zoo if you choose which also lives in the Palace Gardens.

We decided to go on a Vienna Woods tour to get a glimpse of the countryside. This would have to be the most incorrectly named tour I have been on. While you drive through the Woods a little, you dont stop to get a good look at them or get to walk through them at all, mainly its just stops at a catherdral, a monestary and a underground lake

One sight I really wanted to see in Vienna was the Freud Museum- the house where Sigmund Freud lived and did a great deal of his earlier work before escaping to London during World War Two. A very interesting museum to have a look through.

A tour offered from Vienna is a day trip to Prague, since we had an Eurail Pass with extra days on it, we decided to do it ourselves, jump on a train and do it ourselves with a walking tour whilst in Prague. It was a long day, a 4 and a half hour train each way that almost didnt get back to Prague (we had to wait 30mins for another train to catch up, Chris jumped off to grab some drinks and had only been back on for 2mins before it took off again... we only waited 15mins). Thanks to a friend of mine, we have done many tours with Sandemans New Europe tours and this is who we joined the walking tour in Prague with. These guys are great, offering free tours and you tip the guide however much you think they are worth. All guides have so far been fantastic and Prague was no different. We managed to see the Christmas markets also in Prague which were great! Prague has been added to the list of places to go back to in Europe!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0803s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb