Vienna


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna » Vienna
October 3rd 2012
Published: October 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The Blue DanubeThe Blue DanubeThe Blue Danube

Looking decidedly grey on this dull autumn day.
Well here we are at the last stop on this trip. As I wrote this we were in a lounge at the spanking new Vienna airport, waiting for our flight to London to connect with our flight to Sydney via Tokyo and then on to Melbourne. Whew. It's was 2pm in Vienna and we arrived in Melbourne around 10am on Friday!

We had a nice apartment for our 4 days here - again good to be able to spread out and make ourselves at home for a few days. Like most European cities, Vienna has an excellent public transport system and we had no trouble getting about and seeing and doing what we wanted to.

Of course the main reason for coming to Vienna was to see and spend some time with Annie, sister of our friend Inge who lives at Caloundra. Annie knows just everything about Vienna, its history, music and art. She's also no slouch when it comes to great places for coffee and cake, wine, and good Austrian food! We were in good hands.

Between visiting one of the well-known 'heurigens' (kind of bistros run by wine producers in areas around the city, where you
Wien OperWien OperWien Oper

Probably the centrepiece of Vienna's musical heritage.
can feast on national specialities while sampling the vintner's product) and the famous "coffee shops", we still had time for a bit of sightseeing.

And the evenings - well, of course they involved nibbling, talking, listening to music, and maybe a bit of Austrian wine as well. Why not?

And so - thanks for following us this far. I'm sure in your different ways you'll hear from us after we arrive home.

Cheerio

Au revoir

Adios

Auf wiedersein

See ya!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Classic eleganceClassic elegance
Classic elegance

Especially in the centre - everywhere.
The spread - OberlaaThe spread - Oberlaa
The spread - Oberlaa

Your quintessential "cofffee and cake" place ....
Afternoon at the heurigenAfternoon at the heurigen
Afternoon at the heurigen

This one is at Guntramsdorf, in Lower Austria. Where else?


Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb