Stop 1 - Vienna


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna » Vienna
June 4th 2008
Published: June 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

CakeCakeCake

Cake cake cake cake
Stop 1 - Vienna
The one plan I had for Vienna was to eat cake, and eat cake I did! Big chocolaty chocolate cake...and ice cream. When in Vienna one really must, honest.

The first thing that struck me about Vienna is the size of everything. Every building seems hugely over sized and the space between some of them seems vast in the urban setting. The architecture's is generally very grand baroque style with statues and curly bits in every possible place.

I was so pleased that my GCSE German wasn't a total waste of time. I actually managed to fairly confidently, and probably very badly, speak German to people. They all seemed to speak perfect English but appreciated us trying.

On day one we were up early to go to the Spanish Riding School. This is right in the middle of the old Palace complex in the center of Vienna (which is all very pretty). We went to see the training session in the morning which basically consists of watching the horses and riders practicing for the nights show. I actually enjoyed this more than I thought I would as I'm really not a fan of anything
Boobs....Boobs....Boobs....

....everywhere
horsey. The horses that are used are born jet black but turn snow white as they get older (awww). They do lots of pretty trotty things in formation.

After looking round the Palace complex, which is huge (in hight rather than ground space) we headed to the St Stephen's cathedral. This is huge too, and very pretty in a medieval sort of a way. From here we took a wonder round the old part of Vienna and passed the pub where Mozart used to drink, and past Mozart's old house, which is only marked by a tiny plaque outside that you would miss if you didn't know it was there.

Somewhere in there we visited a coffee house which is famous for it's chocolate cake. It's like a Vienna version on Betty's and equally as expensive, but also very nice.

Day two we took in the Summer Palace in the morning. Again this is a huge and impressive baroque building with lovely gardens. We walked up the hill behind the palace where you get a view right over Vienna. There is a large summer house at the top of the hill overlooking the very pretty gardens. We also went in the labyrinth which was get fun and Sam loved. There are lots of cool things to play with as you go round and puzzles to work out.

In the afternoon Rachael and I headed off to the museum of 19thand 20th century art while Sam went to the natural science museum. The art museum is in get another palace which is also an impressive building.

There is a good collection in there including 'The Kiss' and 'Judith' by Klimt (who I am a fan of) as well and some Monets Manets, Rodins, Renoirs and others. It was great to see the Klimts 'in the flesh'. There were also some unfinished Klimts which were interesting as you could really see his technique and how he built up th patterns in his paintings.

More coffee and cake followed.

On day three we packed up and got the train to Budapest, where we are now. We have go this far without anyone really properly looking at our passports..........

Advertisement



5th June 2008

Sounds like you are having a good time. I can't see either of you being happy with lying on a beach for a whole 2 weeks!
20th June 2008

wooo
All sounds amaxing, esp the cake:-)

Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0609s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb