A Disney Castle and swimming in the snow...


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Tyrol » Reutte
April 6th 2014
Published: April 17th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Today we crossed the border back into Germany to visit Neuschweinstein Castle which was the inspiration for the Disney castle. Built in late 1800’s by King Ludwig II, it is all in renaissance style but with every modern convenience of the day including electric lighting, running water and flush toilets. It was a steep walk up the hill but Em managed it all the way with the promise of a horse drawn carriage ride back down. Masses of tourists and tour buses mean that they have to have a rigorous system to get everyone through the castle. Entry is by guided tour only in groups of about 30 and the tour lasts 1/2 an hour. Tickets are only available at the bottom of the hill and you are allocated a time for your tour. Show up about 5 minutes before it starts and line up in the crowded courtyard with the rest of the group to be let in. It was a bit too regimented for us so we didn't bother with the castle tour but you can get into the main courtyard without it and walk all around the grounds too. We had lunch beneath the castle wall then we walked even further up to the steel arch bridge above the castle over a huge cascade and waterfall. The mass of people on the bridge made us worry about its design limits but all was well as we crossed. The bridge is actually part of a series of hiking trails that lead through this whole area and is also popular with mountain bikers, although I don't know how you would ever get a bike through the throng on the bridge. Back down to the carriages and we got on the next one to leave. Again it is a very tourist-type thing to do so with one seat left, the driver made us all squeeze up to cram in another family of 4!

Just across the valley is the other castle in the area, Hohenschwangau Castle. It is a very different style of building, built for the real function of a castle which was of course defence. As Em was getting a bit tired, we didn't bother going up to it but admired the battlements from afar.

Back to Ruette and we geared up to go to the swimming pool which was only a 5 minute walk from the apartment. People around here must be pretty desperate for a swim because it costs €9.50 (about $15 Aussie dollars) for entry and that buys you just 2 hours. Every half hour after that is 50 eurocents paid on checkout! Per Person!! Lucky we had a freebie card with our accommodation. The inside pool had a semi-circle river course which circulated the water with large jets. After a while it actually began to circulate the entire pool so everyone ended up being pushed to one end. There are steps on the inside down into the outside pool so you can get in without having to actually brave the icy air. Duck under the heavy plastic straps and you are immersed in very warm water steaming in the cold mountain air.

On the way home we found a local playground and Em had a run around while mum went back to cook tea. Sheep feeding again tonight which Em loved even more than ever since they let the sheep out into the yard as well.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.239s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0521s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb