Innsbruck


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Tyrol » Innsbruck
June 20th 2013
Published: June 20th 2013
Edit Blog Post

A crystal bee or waspA crystal bee or waspA crystal bee or wasp

This large model of a bee or wasp is in the window of the Swarovski crystal shop
After the peace of the mountains, sleeping in Central Innsbruck certainly required ear plugs. We are in the quieter, backside of the hotel, but it's still noisey. The clock chimes every quarter hour and bongs on the hour. At 6.45am the jets are allowed to start flying and I think we might be right in the flight path, then at 7.00am the church bells start ringing - real close bonging!!! Wake up, get up!

We stripped the inner out of the duvet to reduce heat in the room so had a resonably comfortable night despite bells. We gather there is to be another day of hot weather then things should cool down.

Following the usual European breakfast of cereals, fruit, eggs, meats, cheeses, bread etc we headed out on Maria Theresien Strasse which seems to be a main street through the centre. We didn't get far before discovering a great sports shop called Sport Okay. It had really nice gear at much more reasonable prices than home. Fantastic fabrics, fantastic styles, and great bright colour ranges, not the same old, same old that we have. Boot and shoe selections are amazing. The bike section showed gear that we never
The Giant Hall in the Hapsburg PalaceThe Giant Hall in the Hapsburg PalaceThe Giant Hall in the Hapsburg Palace

This grand hall has magnificent chandeliers, ceiling art, paintwork, and paintings of Maria Therese's children while she reigned.
see - bike pants (shorts with padding) in other colours other than black. We'll go back tomorrow and do a little shopping.

We went to the Information Centre and got Innsbruck Cards which would pay for everything for the next two days so we'll make as much use of it as we can.

My watch needed a new strap and we found a jeweller to change that. It was COOL in there too. The assistant said that we should head up the mountains today and not tomorrow as the weather was changing. So we did.

Down by the Congress Hall, we went to the futuristic station for the funicular. The stations look like elongated racing bike helmets. The funicular took us along and across the River Inn. Each car on the funicular swung on huge moving joints so that as the ground angle changed, they changed too. Clever.

We then got two more Seilbahn cars (cable cars) up to the top of the mountain to 2300m. At the top station right under where the cable car stopped were two Ibexes asleep using the building stucture as their shelter or home. That was unusual to see. Up around the top station there were also some strange looking sheep. They were brown, had long tails, bent noses and were much larger than we would see at home.

Because of the impromptu change of plans I was not suitably attired for walking up there but Linds went up to the peak and I viewed the mountains to the north. They were awesome. I made up a new word - I became "awesome-ised". The huge amount of jagged, solid rock rising on end right in front of my eyes was amazing. I could only stare in wonder as I imagined the forces that took all that rock from the oceans to folded rocks standing so high. There are lots of examples all around in the Alps but not so "in your face".

After a walk around we went down to the next level down on the Seilbahn and had some lunch watching people and ravens doing what hand gliders do. The birds were picking up the up-draft from the wall of building structure and literally hovering and hanging in the breeze.

Back down at the city where it was hot again, we walked through the Imperial Gardens hoping to find a cool place to sit. We didn't find it. Nearby was the Hofburg Palace where we were able to view the 18th and 19th century apartments of the Hofburg Dynasty. Maria Therese during her rule seemed to have the most influence at the time and the palace and streets reflect that. The main Giants Hall was magnificent and we even managed a photo before being told off for taking it. Then Linds set of the alarm by stepping off the carpeted area we were supposed to stay on. I was told off for leaning back against the paintwork around the window. Naughty us it seemed! The Palace was certainly worth a visit just to see the paintings, the wall decorations, the massive lights, the table setting in the dining hall and so much more. It was cooler than outside too.

Next visit was to the Swarovski Crystal Shop, not the factory. There are 3 main show areas of the wares for sale and all is a-glitter. Anything that could be designed in crystal or decorated in crystal was there. There was some gorgeous jewelry but nothing that would make me want to buy it - not being a glitter girl.

By this time, the hot feet indicated a good time to go back to the hotel to cool off and come back later for tea when the sun had moved on. I wonder where we'll dine tonight? I doubt it will be as amusing as last night. Perhaps some Thai food. Austrian food is okay but not that imaginative.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.351s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 64; dbt: 0.1766s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb