Flying high over Innsbruck


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Tyrol » Innsbruck
June 8th 2007
Published: June 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After leaving Hallstatt we were on way to Innsbruck. Th train trip was real postcard stuff, mountains, lakes, rivers all the way. We had to change trains at a place named Stainach. While we were scoffing down breakfast on the platform an old local came up to us for a bit off a chat. This is one of the things Glenn really likes, finding out the inside info from the locals. Turned out this guy was 85 years old and on his way out for a bit of mountain climbing. He told us he had climbed all of the mountains in the local area, the last one around 2000 metres when he was 83. Quite an amazing bloke.

We arrived in Innsbruck early in the afternoon and after checking into our hotel headed straight out to Swarovski world, interesting but a little over rated . Innsbruck was a lot bigger than we had thought and really is quite a beautiful city. It is situated on the Inn river with with massive mountains providing a spectacular backdrop. It has hosted the the winter olympics twice, the last time in 1994. Not surprisingly outdoor sport is huge here.

When we got back to our hotel we arranged to go para-gliding the following morning. This provided one of the real highlights of the trip although must admit we were all a little toey when we went to bed that evening.

We were picked up at or hotel at 9.30 and drove around 20kms out of Innsbruck to this magnificent valley. After meeting the other 2 guides we got suited up and caught a gondola to the place we would jump from, around 800 metres or so above sea level. The views were spectacular of the village below. After watching a few others take off our nerves were not any better. Finally time for us to go, 1 2 3 run ha ha, steeply down hill. A short jolt when the parachute lifted up and all of a sudden we were flying! Amazing, you felt very safe and it was very smooth. We were up for around 15 - 20 minutes before coming into to land. Some were more gracious than others, Vicki had a small face plant!!lol With the guide mounting me from behind!!! More than I had bargained for.

The afternoon was spent walking around the old town and then a magnificent Thai dinner at the Thai la Bai restaurant. Very nice, a nice change from the snitzchel !!.

Up early the next morning for our trip to Fussen and Neuschwanstein Castle





Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



12th June 2007

Hmmm....
Well Vick, I just want to ask if your guide was the same as the one Tim had, cause I bet you planned that face dive?!!!!!! xo

Tot: 0.156s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0763s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb