time in Tirol


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Tyrol » Hall in Tirol
October 9th 2016
Published: October 9th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Cusco and your correspondent have been left to their own devices for a week, in Munich, during Oktoberfest, what could they possibly get up to??? Well dear readers. Let me sum up the first adventures encountered in the first three days in one word – nothing. When, I say nothing, I mean nothing – nyet, rien, nada, zilch…. It poured with rain, torrents for hour after hour after hour. Claude was beginning to sink under the deluge. Cusco had to swim to higher ground when he needed to perform ablutions. My concern was of the water rising enough to threaten my beer supply, now that would have been bad.

On checking in at the campsite, Wendy had to sign an undertaking that we would not complain about any excess noise. This was unusual as usually we have to sign an undertaking that our crazed spaniel would not make in excess noise!!! The reason for this was that the site was a main base for thousands of British and Australian youths who were here for Oktoberfest with the sole intention of wearing lederhosen, drinking as much as they could and listening to loud music 24 hours a day. The rain did nothing to hamper their enthusiasm but at least it did wash most of the vomit away.

When the clouds eventually ran out of water, the hound and I with the help of a bus and a train ventured into the city centre and the beer festival. We joined the masses and joined a queue and patiently waited our turn to get in, only to be told that dogs were not allowed on the site. We turned away a tad disheartened but I told Cusco it was me they wouldn’t let in, so that cheered him up a bit. To cheer your correspondent up a bit we headed to the beer gardens in the centre of town and drank much beer (only after making sure Cusco knew the directions to the train station in case of drunkeness).

After her adventure with naked men in Bournemouth, Wendy returned to find Claude packed and ready to rumble, so after beer and pretzels at a nearby beer garden plans were made to head to Innsbruck the next morning at full speed. Most of that plan worked apart from full speed, as a traffic jam involving every car in Germany hampered our movement. Undaunted and after a blazing row with the satnav we somehow managed to arrive at our next site named Halle in Tirol. A charming village with many narrow windy streets to explore and bars with apple strudel, so we were pleased.

As it was Austria, a very clean train appeared exactly on time and took us to the centre of Innsbruck for beer and tower climbing. I shall leave you my dear readers to decide which of us did which activity!! In each country we travel through, Wendy will make sure she samples a local delicacy – usually from the desert menu – and in Austria she wanted sachertorte (a cake which involves an amazing amount of chocolate). It was very hot in Innsbruck this day and Cusco and I were dragged for miles in search of this desire. It wasn’t that every bar didn’t serve the cake, but the correct bar and correct ambience was important. I am sure you will all be pleased to know that she was successful in her search.

Next stop Italy and the reappearance of the wild man of Cheadle Hulme….


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



10th October 2016

Luscious Sachertorte!
Great photos and read G&W (and hound)! Made my mouth water just thinking of this delicacy and the Strudel!
10th October 2016

Cake or tower? Climb tower or eat cake? Climb cake and eat tower? Too many decisions. Stick with just one: drink beer! Enjoy!!
12th October 2016
beer and pretzel

Joys of Austria
Nice lunch

Tot: 0.354s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 13; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1624s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb