Silvester (New Year's Eve)


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Styria » Bad Aussee
December 31st 2011
Published: January 8th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Departed from the hotel in Vienna this morning and had früstück (breakfast) at a traditional cafe. Great coffee, freshly baked cake, servings the size of a medium corgi. Oddly contemporary toilets however - clear glass cubicles and doors - completely transparent - until you lock the door and a sensor clouds the glass. Quite disconcerting but sehr fantastiche.

Collected Isabella from her mother and grandmother who resides in an inner city apartment with the most stylish (and wealthy) taste in Persian rugs, carved mirrors, chandeliers and more. Wien chic.

Drove home through the Danube Valley, and you know what!? It really was blue. Apparently quite an odd sight but the weather was perfect, clear skies and the blue was reflected on the water. Such a sight to behold.

Passing by the Stift Melk (or Melk Abbey), one of the world's most famous monastic sites, overlooking the town of Melk an der Donau. It was founded in 1089 by Leopold II, Margave of Austria. A magnificent baroque monastery.

Passed Krems Stein an der Donau, with terraced vineyards and ancient history, and Dürnstein, known for its beautiful buildings but also for the castle above the town where Richard I, (Richard the Lionheart) of England was once imprisoned. He insulted Leopold V and was unfortunately recognised on his way home from the Holy Lands. His ransom was 35, 000 kilograms of silver.

We arrived home in Bad Aussee to an invitation to partake in a few beverages at one of the neighbours, Wolfgang. Along with another couple he had staying as guests, Thomas, Alfred, Isabella and I partook in Panettone und Kaffee, listening to this fascinating, educated and well-travelled story-teller entertain us. Wolfgang lives primarily in Wien, only travelling to his Urlaub (holiday) house in Bad Aussee just a few weeks a year. Wien is bitterly cold without the beauty of the snow, so why not enjoy it just a few hours drive away! Wolfgang's house is mostly shut up. Sadly his wife wasn't with him as her father had just passed away, but we shall invite them over for dinner before we leave.

From Wolfgang's we went home, had dinner then set out again to Hans, Claudia and Verena's for Silvester festivities.

Feuerwerks from Aldi, just €20 and no authority leaning over you to say they are verboten. The freedom and responsiblity you have for your own well-being over here is such a fresh outlook compared to the Police State back home. There are even Kinder packs of Feuerwerks!!!!! We and all our neighbours popped and exploded the fireworks all night, drinks flowed, and at midnight my poor Austrian tried to do the waltz with me. I'm sure even if I was completely sober, I couldn't have waltzed, but I gave it a go. We were outside and the snow was falling, and people were laughing and happy, what a wonderful night. Left at 2.30 in the morning, a short, snowy walk home.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0453s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb