Salzburg: The hills are alive...


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Salzburg
December 23rd 2016
Published: December 27th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Without a doubt today was one of the surprises of the trip. We had intended to stay on board but changed our mind and instead opted to tour Salzburg and do the Sound of Music tour - and I am so pleased we did.

Our tour guide, Sebastian, should be awarded Local Tour Guide of the Year. Dressed in traditional Barvarian costume (vest, coat, knee length lederhousin, and knee high leather boots) was so entertaining. On the 1.5 hour bus ride entertained us all the way, both the historical information and amusing stories. He could not for the life of him understand why so many people liked the movie The Sound of Music. On reaching Salzburg (which is an amazing city - so clean and fresh), Sebastian took us on a walking tour through the city, pointing out where scenes in the movie were filmed and then would bust into song singing one of the songs from the movie. The Walking tour finished in the crowed Christmas Market where Sebastian sang Edelweiss much to the amusement and entertainment of most people in the Market Square.

We then had free time for about an hour and instead of going through the Christmas Market we ended up having a look through the boutique shops instead. We didn't have anywhere near enough time in the city which was a shame but that means I just have to come back one day.

For lunch we headed up the mountain to a farm restaurant for a fabulous meal, a Sound of Music concert and SNOW ?.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.228s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0496s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb