A Message in Music


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Salzburg » Salzburg
October 15th 2006
Published: October 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We spent a night and a day in Salzburg on our way to Vienna from Interlaken. Arriving at the train station, I called and made a reservation at local zimmer that was in Rick Steve's book. The woman on the phone gave me directions, telling me which bus line to take, which stop to get off at, etc. Don't ask me how this happened, but we headed in the exact OPPOSITE direction, finding ourselves totally lost... like geese in a hail storm. After another phone call we finally got back on the track, found the zimmer and checked in, and took the bus to the old town.
Salzburg was nice... yet I wouldn't want to live there... it certainly wasn't Paris or Rome, although the old town part was nice. Paraded back and forth until I felt like a teeney bopper hanging around a mall. Enough was enough. Saw Mozart's house, and ya de ya de ya.
Decided that attending a concert featuring music of Mozart would be in order, we learned of the nightly concerts at the Hohensalzburg Fortress. That evening, we wended our way up to the great fortress. Now THAT was impressive. (see link)
Joined about 75 or 100 people... as an ensemble, cello, violin, piano and viola played the standard repertoire, 'Eine kleine Nachtmusik'. Yeah, that was nice. Oh... but you never know when destiny is going to etch something upon your soul that you will never ever forget. Cello and viola disappeared... leaving violin and piano. A duet arrangement of something I had never heard before. Camille Saint-Saƫns... 'Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso', completely blew me away. I sat there in awe. The magic, the majesty of the ages transcended to the moment. It was perfect. Looking out the fortress window at the moon shining upon Salzburg, was a sight I will never forget..

Advertisement



Tot: 0.423s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 18; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0702s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb