Day 33 -Salzburg


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Salzburg » Salzburg
August 3rd 2015
Published: August 3rd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Chris is feeling much beer this morning after a sleep and the tablets. One of those things that happens when travelling. We leave for the train station and our trip back to Austria. Some food and work out our platform, then waiting and watching. Eventually move to the platform and our train arrives about 10 pminutes prior to departure. Our first class carriages are at the front. We get on and find a cabin of 6 seats and settle in. No one else loves us so we are happy in our space.

trainndue to leave at 1018 (yes, the Germans are very efficient and prompt). Train leaves at 1018. We await the conductor to make sure we are on the right train and in fact allowed to stay in our exclusive cabin. No problems, conductor clicks the ticket and we stay alone. Nice one. 2 hour trip and the train goes pretty quickly and smoothly again. All good.

Eventually at Salzburg. Out into a very nice station, no real riffraff here like Munich. Walk towards our hotel, about 5 minutes walk. Into reception, booking there for us, but room not available yet, no problem they store the bags and we go off and walk the town. Decide to check out our trip for tomorrow to the Eagles Nest, above Hitlers Birchstesgarden complex. Find the tour place and check our booking - yes, they know us so tick for that. We decide to take their city and boat tour. Turns out we get into a VW taxi van for this tour. Good driver who imparts lots of local knowledge and tit bits.

New town, old town, summer palace, winter palace, etc., etc. eventually drops us off at the boat dock for the next bit. This tour is meant to start at 1600. In the queue the the ticket man changes the time to 1700. Not happy Jan... I mutter something and show my tickets, he says no problems, we are booked of ethe 1600 trip, phew. Boat arrives, queue grows and we finally get on. Greeted by the skipper with a very British accent. There are 3 chairs in the front row and I ask if we can sit there no problems says the skipper. A little banter and then we are off. He is very good and we strike up a chat line along the way. The boat is a jet boat with a 38cm draft and twin 600hp Diesel engines. Can go. He crawls against a 7 knot current then opens it up to about 23 knots. Flying with only an 18cm draft now.

He gets to the end of his run facing a magic sight of a mountain range. I try to get a shot and he says to hang on, he moves the boat under the bridge so I can get a better shot with the shade from the bridge. He then spins the boat and starts the return trip. I ask how often he gets stuff in the impellers and we chat about how the boat works. Next thing he grabs me and says that I should get a shot of a hero on a rock. We have a laugh, then why he gets back to the dock area, he does a Vianese waltz with the boat, turning on its centre one way, then the other.mgood show and good fun.

Off and we decide to walk the old town that we had seven quickly on our tour. Into the town and up to Mozart's birth house.mthen we just wander around the streets. Eventually, we decide that dinner is due. Find a place near the festival hallS (Salzburg is in the middle of a classical festival, opera, dance and orchestral performances every night for about 3 weeks). People everywhere dressed to the nines, and in some case even more. More monkey suits per metre than Africa. Some woman folk dressed in extremely fine fashionable clothing as well.

Get a seat on the end of a table of 4 others. All,Austrian with only 1 who is brave enough to try his English with us. We communicate eeasonably well and find out they are going to an opera tonight. Order our food and drinks. Drinks arrive and before I can have a good drink, the food arrives. Goulash and a cappacio of beef, Parmesan and pesto. Nice food, and great wine. We farewell our new Austrian friends and finish our drinks.

Back to the hotel via the river bank. Very nice walk along the river, then through the Mirabell palace gardens tomthe hotel. Get the bags and room key. Oh oh, single beds.mthenyoffer to set up as w king size bed, thanks. The housemaid arrives so we go up to the rooftop bar for a nightcap. Fantastic evening and even better views. Postcard stuff. Nice finish to the day. To bed now.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.1007s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb