The hills are alive.. once again..


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Salzburg » Salzburg
December 24th 2012
Published: December 25th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Salzburg has always been one of my favourite spots and I had a feeling Chris would like it and couldnt wait to show him (I wasnt wrong).

A fortress sides high up on the hill in Salzburg, from there you can get a gorgeous view of the town and the Alps, we headed up to have a look and spent nearly an hour just admiring the views

When in Salzburg, one must go on a tour for the most famous thing to come out of Salzburg- The Sound of Music! I'd done this previously when in Salzburg but was super excited to go again with Chris. This 4 hour bus tour takes you a scenic drive through the countryside to a number of places where scenes from the movie was shot. You see the Leopoldskron Palace- where the lake scenes were filmed; Hellbrunn Palace- the home of the famous gazebo and Mondsee- a small town where the wedding scene was shot, just to name a few. Along the way, the guide provides a number of useful and interesting facts about the movie- for example, the end scene where the family is escaping into the Swiss Alps.. that doesnt lead to freedom in Swiss, it leads into Germany! Not a good way to go.. Another interesting fact was that the real Maria Von Trapp died from gangrene caused by eating too much cheese.. thats abit scary. The Von TRapp family moved to the US and opened a lodge in Vermont, must put this on the list I think.

The views in Salzburg are breathtaking and we headed up and out of the city and the country into the Bavarian Mountains, stopping briefly for a glimpse of the Eagles Nest, a place where Hitler did alot of his thinking. From there we headed to the Lake District and Konigssee (Kings Lake), a small little village with a spectular lake. Lastly a stop in Berchtesgaden, a charming little town. We did this tour on Christmas Eve so many things were closed but it was a great day of scenary none the less.

What better way to spend Christmas Day on the road but on a horse drawn sleigh ride through the Austria Alps. We were picked up in Salzburg and taken into the Alps. We then spent 2hours on the sleigh, riding through the Alps before having a lovely lunch. It was a great way to spend Christmas Day "on a one horse open sleigh".


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



26th December 2012

White Xmas
So happy that you got your white xmas. Dreams do come true when yoú're patient. Hope the horses got some carrots

Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0702s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb