Castles further than the eye can see


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Salzburg » Salzburg
March 12th 2008
Published: March 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

NeuschwansteinNeuschwansteinNeuschwanstein

Our first glimpse of the castle
Sorry for the slight delay, we've been having too much fun!

Yes, this edition of GiantSteve's Excellent Adventure features castles.
I have to admit that I knew that the next stop on this trip would be a special one.
Ever since German classes in eighth grade - when I first saw pictures of Neuschwanstein - I realised that you didn't get much closer to the castles of fantasy than this one.
We drove into Hohenschwangau, which is the little town overlooked by the castle, amid a light smattering of snow. We got tickets and breakfasted, and before long realised that the tour started in 25 minutes, and it was a 1/2 hour walk up the hill.
Well, there's nothing we Opperman's like more than a challenge, so after setting a good pace, sharing a few taunts (we had a quick sprint after I landed a particularly good one) - we reached the castle with 5 minutes to spare.
The tour was amazing, though no photos of the inside were allowed (otherwise who would buy the postcards and calendars! And the books, t-shirts, playing cards, music CD's, models, etc.). I did get a few shots of the view out to the
Neuschwanstein 2Neuschwanstein 2Neuschwanstein 2

A much more imposing view
lake, and many photos of the outside. Interestingly, the castle was designed by an artist rather than an architect, hence the fantasy look.

A quick executive decision had us shuffle the timetable a bit, and we headed to Munich. We spent 2 nights there, but I didn't really get the scope of the place, its just too big. We walked around the older bits - mainly pedestrian-only zones - which had a very Venice feel, narrow roads with building leaning in from either side. A fun place, but we really needed more time (as usual!).
One highlight was BMW World, where we took a tour through their factory. This place pushes out 900 cars a day, the vast majority of the work done by robots, and we watched them work - it was unbelievable!
Again, no photos, but picture an orange metal arm fixed to the ground, about 10 feet high fully extended, with 5 or six elbows. These things perform amazing acrobatics to move around in the cramped space they have, clearing eachother by bare millimetres! Amazing stuff.

Now we're in Salzburg, the home of Mozart. They have statues, CD's, even chocolates commemorating the fact. We climbed
This one's for AndrewThis one's for AndrewThis one's for Andrew

Steven doing what could only be described as an epic Sprinkler
the hill to the fortress, and the reward was some spectacular views of Salzburg and the far-off Alps. The view alone was worth the visit to Salzburg.

Next stop, Venice. Yes, I've been there before, but there were a few thing I need to do before I leave forever.
See you next time.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

BMW WorldBMW World
BMW World

Modern German architecture
Don't look, MumDon't look, Mum
Don't look, Mum

I think Dad's found a new toy
View from the FortressView from the Fortress
View from the Fortress

Salzburg from the air
The Distant MountainsThe Distant Mountains
The Distant Mountains

Salzburg out to the mountains. Helpful for a defensive position.


Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb