Salzburg


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Salzburg » Bad Hofgastein
August 20th 2011
Published: September 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Took my first overnight trip out of Garmish this week with a couple girls I work with. We decided that we would visit Salzburg since we knew how to get there on the train and we heard it was beautiful. It was a great decision.

To get to Salzbug from Garmish usually takes about 4 hours because we first need to take the train up to Munich to turn around and go back down to Salzburg, its silly because its like a 2 hour drive from here. But we can get there on the Bayran pass which is a pass you can get around Bavaria with for 29 euro and up to 5 people can travel on the same pass.

We got to Salzburg in the evening, the people there were super helpful in helping us find our hostel. The hostel we stayed in was the Youth and Family Hostel which was recommended by one of our co-workers and it was really nice. It was right in the center of town so we were able to walk to the fortress (Hohensalzburg Castle) in ten minutes. From the fortress there was an amazing view of the city. After we visited the fortress we enjoyed a very expensive but delicious dinner in Mozart Square. We were planning on going to Mozart's house but we did not make it... maybe next time I go.

The next morning we took the Sound of Music Bike Tour. It was awesome. We went to so many places that are featured in the film and even got a tour of the town as a whole because we were on bikes so we were not restricted to main roads. For example, we saw the old executioner's house in the middle of a field. It is rumored it was in the middle of a field because they did not want him in town mixing with the locals because there is no saying who he would have to execute in the future. Also, an interesting fact about the house from the Sound of Music is that the front and the back of the house in the movie are actually two different houses.

After the tour we pretty much just caught the next train out of town. It was a good short trip and now I have two European countries under my belt!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0546s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb