Skiing the Austrian Alps and a day in Italy


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Carinthia » Villach
March 18th 2007
Published: March 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

March 16-18, 2007 - My buddy assigned to me by the school here in Wiener Neustadt, Matthias, is the best buddy that anyone could possibly ask for. This weekend, he invited a few of us (the other Adam from Drake and two canadian girls, Monica and Jacqueline) to go to his father's cabin in Corinthia in the Austrian Alps. After a 3 1/2 hour drive from Wiener Neustadt we arrived at the cabin and quickly went to sleep.

We woke up Friday morning at 8am and drove an hour to the Nassfeld ski resort. We were doubting how much snow there would be because the weather had been so warm. Suprisingly there was a ton of snow! We quickly rented skis and got on the slopes from 11-4. It was about 45 degrees on the hills and was a perfect day for skiing. I had to take off my hat and gloves because i was too warm. The snow was different than any other snow that I have skied in. It was a lot thicker and heavier, probably because it was so warm. When we stopped for lunch at a cottage on the hill, there were people sun bathing in bikinis and shorts. It was over 60 up there in the sun!

There were two sides of the mountain that you could ski on. One of the runs, you could actually ski down into Italy! Then the lift that brought you back up, starts in Italy and you get off in Austria.

On Saturday, we decided to go to Italy for a day trip. We drove about 3 hours to Trieste, which is right on the border of Slovenia and is on the Adriatic Sea as well. It was funny because the day before we were skiing in snow, and then the next, we're on a beach with people in swimwear who are tanning. Trieste was beautiful and the weather was so warm. It was 70 degrees for most of the day. We walked around and shopped for a few hours and then had dinner at small Italian shop near the sea. It was a perfect day trip.

We slept in on Sunday and just hiked around the mountains that surrounded Matthias's cabin. It was about an hour hike to the top of the smallest mountain near by and provided some amazing scenery.

On the way back to Wiener Neustadt, we could not stop talking about how much fun we had this weekend. It was an unbeliveable experience thanks to Matthias.


Additional photos below
Photos: 48, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

The group on the chairliftThe group on the chairlift
The group on the chairlift

Myself, Monica, Adam, Matthias, and Jacqueline


Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 70; dbt: 0.0689s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb