Lovely day exploring Millstattersee


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Carinthia » Millstatt
June 14th 2018
Published: June 14th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Somewhat irritated this morning to find that there was still rain about though last night’s forecast was for a completely dry day. The latest forecast, useless thing, was saying it was going to stay wet most of the morning. Fortunately it was wrong and we ignored it, apart from ensuring we had our macs in sacs in Kisbee’s backbox, just in case.



Kisbee came out of the garage all-raring to go as it enjoys a nice flat road round a lake where it can get a bit of speed up. Some of the mountainous inclines we take it on are quite a challenge as between us we are up to its weight limit !



Had to return briefly, after we set off, to retrieve a sweater for Bob. On the back I’m generally pretty well protected from any chilly winds but Bob gets the full blast.

A bit disappointed to find that the road along the north side of the lake, certainly the first half, is not really in view of the water at all. Where it is, there are few opportunities to actually access the water as there is a full cycle track running along the lake side of the road with an Armco type barrier preventing anyone else crossing onto it. This place is a little too cycle orientated for those of us who are on 2 wheels but not the bicycle kind.

We stopped at Millstatt, a spa resort, half way along the lake and found the way into the Benedictine Abbey. As usual not signposted but a helpful man saw us checking our map and pointed out the way in (which was not marked as being the Monastery).



The Monastery dates from 1070 and is incredibly impressive. It has an ocre coloured, Romanesque, cloistered courtyard which is made very attractive by the addition of geranium filled pots in each first floor arch then backed by a deer antler, There are also some very realistic statues in a couple of the ground floor archways as well as Adam and Eve under the tree. Absolutely loved the whole place.

Behind this set of buildings we found a wonderful church, now the Parish church, dating back to 1200s. The decoration and ornaments in here were superb, gold leaf everywhere and medieval paintings and my poor camera went into overdrive. Had to convert a white van, which had most inconsiderately parked right outside, into a rose bush as otherwise it spoiled the balance of my photo.



From the monastery we went in search of the lakeside. This proved not as easy as expected and it seems that most of the actual access to the water is contained within private properties. We got round that by stopping for lunch at the Badehaus with a table overlooking the water and a wonderful view across to the range of mountains which form the backdrop along the Western end of the lake. Still a bit of snow showing here and there but not surprising as Grossglockner is among those peaks somewhere and that is only a little short of 4000 metres and the site of a massive glacier.

Had a really good lunch of traditional Wiener Schnitzel with frites and cranberry sauce and enjoyed the view and the weather which has now reverted to lovely blue sky sunshine.

On Kisbee we then went along to the town at the end of the lake, Seeboden. Again we had trouble getting to the water’s edge but eventually found a path down through a park and got to the water.



Then back the way we had come as no easy way to get round the lake on the other side. Stopped again at a café for a drink before heading back to the campsite. Iced coffee ideally satisfied my need for both caffeine and icecream.

Back at the campsite we went to the super pool and are pleased we accidentally stopped here rather than the lakeside site further along the road. The pool really is superb, formed from stainless steel like that in Graz, it has bubbles of various sorts all round at the touch of a button and the building to the side has warm showers and is superbly appointed. Even somewhere to leave your glasses while you shower. Reminds us of the lovely pool at the campsite in Gran we used last year.



After dinner we scootered down to the lakeside along the campsite side of the lake and stopped to watch the sun vanishing behind the mountains.

Moving on tomorrow, to the Tyrol and am expecting a lovely scenic drive especially as blue sky is forecast.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



15th June 2018
180614 Dobriach (66)

Exploring Austria
We've only been to Vienna so it is fun exploring with you.
15th June 2018
180614 Dobriach (66)

Vienna
I worked there for several days 25+ years ago so we've done the sights and though we loved it there are so many other lovely places we haven't visited yet.

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 17; qc: 33; dbt: 0.072s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb