A day off traveling


Advertisement
Andorra's flag
Europe » Andorra » Sant Julià de Lòria
June 18th 2016
Published: June 18th 2016
Edit Blog Post

We have covered 1900 miles since we set off 10 days ago so we decided to take today off travelling. Fortunate that we had a 2 night stay in the same hotel. We enjoyed a lay in, much appreciated after getting up at 7am every day to pack, eat and set off. After a leisurely breakfast the plan was to jump on the bike and head up the mountainside that over looks Sant Julia de Loria to an activity and nature park Naturlandia.

It had been raining through the night and the last dregs were being squeezed over the courtyard outside the dining room windows. By the time we had finished eating it had stopped and the sun was making its way though the gaps in the peaks that surround the town. I found another route out of the car park, although after the trauma of last nights arrival, Julia chose to walk down the hill to the main road below. We were quickly heading out of the town, ignoring Mr Garmin and following the road signs instead. Soon we were on the switchbacks that lead up from the town. The sun was doing its best to clear the moisture from the road and there was steam coming off the surface where the warming rays had found their way between the trees. About 10 minutes into our ascent we came across the local constabulary at a piece of broken crash barrier. It seems someone had managed to do what we had spent the last 10 days trying not to and left the road on one of the hairpins. Ordinarily, at such a sight I would knock a few mph's off my speed as the dangers of traversing these roads sank in. The truth is, I am no hero on a bike and I just about make enough forward momentum not to fall off on these hills so going slower isn't an option. We made it to Naturlandia with only one minor scare as a car coming the down the hill was making full use of the road on a bend, yes, even our bit. Cutting the corners on these hills just isn't a good idea.

Naturlandia is split into to two parks about 8 km apart by road, 5.3 km by Tobotronic (more of that shortly) or 500 meters vertical drop. The lower park has several activities, most are included in the price. There is archery, Julia is the better shot. There are peddle go-carts, 4x4 buggies, mini golf, high wire climbing frame that ends in a pretty cool zip wire and then there is the Tobotronic. Basically a toboggan on rails that climbs 500 meters up the mountain side to the upper park, this takes about 10 minutes going the straight route. It then descends on a 5.3 km track that snakes it's way through the trees back to the start. The toboggan has 2 seats, the rear of which also has the brake handles. Push these forward and go into free fall, pull back to slow. Getting down is an exhilarating affair that took about 5 minutes and was accompanied by a few screams. You can't take bags, phones or cameras so I have no idea how this clip got here. We did it twice.



There is also a decent cafeteria restaurant at the park and after the second ride it was lunch time. We had a look around but opted to head up to the upper park to eat there. On reflection, the better choice. The restaurant up there is more olde world pub. There is a BBQ area outside where your meat is cooked and a really nice eating area inside. We took the waitresses advice on what to eat, and she didn't steer us wrong. After lunch we headed off around the upper parks attractions. We didn't go on any more rides, although there are a few, but instead walked around the small zoo. Several species of deer, a bear enclosure, wolves, Linx, pigs, goats, to name but a few of the creatures here. A nice afternoon stroll to walk off the fabulous lunch.

Naturlandia proved a great choice for a relaxing day. Thankfully it was almost deserted which added to the relaxing time we had. We were surprised it was so quiet, especially for a Saturday, but then most of the places we have visited these past 10 days have been. I think that June is just before the holiday season but for me, we couldn't have picked a better time.

Tomorrow we head off to Jaca in Spain. Can't wait to see what the next day of our adventure brings.



Have a good 'un


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.24s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0496s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb