Market Day


Advertisement
Central America Caribbean
January 10th 2015
Published: January 10th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Dinner was a fine affair last night as we cooked up some fresh Mahi Mahi fillets with garlic, lemon zest and capers. The fillets were very thick, absolutely no bones and to die for delicious! We are really glad we bought extra to freeze.

We woke up early this morning as this is market day in Montezuma! It opens at 10:30 and you are to get there early because everything is picked over quickly! The grocery stores stock some fresh vegetables but by all accounts, the market is the place to get really fresh. We enjoyed our breakfast on the porch and for the first time saw the capuchin monkeys who came to eat at the compost by the bamboo. Our plan was to catch the 9:15 bus and then wander around Monetzuma before the market opened. We got to the bus stop at the end of our road where we met a delightful couple from northern Florida. They are also staying in one of Simon and Patricia's bungalows called "Estrella". They were very friendly and we enjoyed chatting with them as we awaited our ride. The best part was when they commented that we must not be used to the hot weather being from Canada!! We assured them we do have hot summers. Eventually the "bus" came and we piled on with other Canadians, Americans, and Ticos. After a bumpy ride we landed in Montezuma.

We wandered until we found where the market was to be held. A kind man told us the lady with the truck of fruits and vegetables would not arrive for another 45 minutes so we decided to look around some shops. I ended up buying another dress, tank top and a pair of water shoes. Curtis was very patient as I tried on dress after dress. Apparently I can only survive in dresses as they afford you more room for air flow! Shorts are not really needed and I have learned my packing lesson! We wandered our way back up to the market place where the truck had still not arrived. Other local artisans were there and had set up shop. I met a beautiful young Tico girl from Cabuya who had taken jewelry courses in San Jose and now makes exquisite and very unique pieces out of animal/reptile skins that she finds. She even had beautiful pendants made from silver, local stone and eagle talons. I ended up buying 2 leather bracelets from her imbedded with iguana skin. It was very hot in the area where we waited and we really had no idea what to expect. There were no tables set up so we knew it was going to be a watch and learn experience. Soon the vans arrived. People quickly laid out about 10 bamboo mats on the ground and then placed huge round baskets on them. They then scurried to place lots of fresh fruits and vegetables in the baskets. Amazingly everyone in the crowd just stood back and waited. We took this as an opportunity to scout out what was available and decided to divide and conquer! Suddenly the signal was said, "Operto" and the throng moved in. I quickly grabbed bags of fresh lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, pepper, cilantro, rosemary, basil and portobello mushrooms while Curtis swooped in on the fresh bread, corn, ginger, strawberries and peas. Everyone just fills bags or arms. I spied bags of small tomatoes, some bananas, and a pineapple. You then get in a huge line that leads to one of two people. They take it out and add up orally (and in English) what you owe, stuff it back into your bags (carefully) and you pay! It was so much fun!! No one was pushing or grabbing just simply shopping. Laden with our treasures we opted to take a taxi home to Solyluna after we saw the hordes of people and their bags at the bus stop. It turned out to be a good choice!!

After lunch we walked down the road and found a beautiful spot on the beach to relax. The pelicans were diving and the locals fishing. They throw out nets and pull them in quickly. They are filled with silver fish, reminiscent of the large sardines in Portugal. There apparently comes the perfect time to then take these small fish and put them on a fishing line which is simply a large reel, no rod. From there they fish for larger "pescado". We made our way back as the tide moved in and are currently planning our evening gastronmical experience. We love Costa Rica (more so since Curtis' parents sent of pictures of our home in its present snowed in state!)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0813s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb