I arrive in Antigua, Guatemala


Advertisement
Central America Caribbean
October 12th 2011
Published: October 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

I arrived in Guatemala to a beautiful morning and quick drive from the capital of Guatemala City to Antigua. After a stop at the hotel to drop off the 75 lbs of baggage (no kidding) I headed out to explore the city with my new travel partners, Joyce, Stefan, Nathaly, Kim and Dan. Almost immediately we were entertained with a parade honoring the Patron Saint Francis of Assisi, with full band and majorettes and big headed costumed characters. The first song we heard the band playing was Lady Gaga's Bad Romance - a surreal moment in the colonial city of Antigua. From the central park and plaza we strolled along the cobbled stone roads to an indoor artisans shop just before the sky opened up and the first of many torrential rain storms started. The city streets were beautiful in the reflections in the water. Life starts and stops with the rain and the residents of Antigua clearly understand this cycle.

We enjoyed the city all day on Saturday and Sunday, but Monday was serious business with our first day on the job. The neighborhood where the new homes are to be build is in the village of San Pedro, a small town outside Antigua. We arrived at the little street of ramshackle homes made of cornstalks, cardboard, corregated metal sheeting and any other found objects. It's sad that we can only help two of the families with new homes, as there are dozens in need just in this little neighborhood. Our first day of work required us to dig trenches, as much as three feet deep in some places to ensure that when the rains hit and mud slides occur, water won't get under the foundation. It was hard, back breaking work, but so rewarding to see the finished trenches. Today we assembled rebar structures for the foundations, mixed concrete and began the foundation work. Rain halted our progress on both days, and it's raining again right now, so tomorrow may be more of the same, but we work when we can and take breaks when it rains and work is being accomplished.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0313s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb