Arriving in Mexico City


Advertisement
Published: June 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Britain!Britain!Britain!

Last shot in britain
Good morning from across the pond! It is 07.50 here and the sun is shining.

We arrived last night in to Mexico City (home time - about 2 in the morning) and it is a fair sight from a plane - stacked up buildings as far as the eye can see circled by towering mountains. It really does live up to expectations!

After customs we pretty swiftly got a move on to our hostel in a crazy taxi - I don´t think that the highway code has reached Mexico - 6 lanes of traffic - all of which pretty much do what they like! It was a pretty overwhelming journey - people and cars everywhere, sirens, music, talking, a bit more crazy driving (people going up the 6 lane carriageway the wrong way on a scooter for example) and the smells. Too many to mention - there is definitely a dust bowl smell to the place but also the wafting smell of food from the street vendors and the occasional bit of drainage!

Everyone is welcoming and glad to help, albeit for a tip in some cases.

We got to our hostel which is a rather large building just off the Zocalo square - very nice, clean and tidy so nothing to complain about except for the incredibly loud alarm of some sort that was going off just down the road - thank goodness for earplugs.

Anyway, its breakfast time and then out to see the city - I have a sneaky suspicion that the main square has been turned ¡nto a giant viewing area for the Mexicans in the world cup - that should be fun!

Thank you all for your well wishes and all the help that you have all given us over the last few months - it has been most appreciated.

I will hopefully post again in a couple of days with some pictures next time (the computer I am using doesn´t have USB...

Love to all

Steve

x


Additional photos below
Photos: 55, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

MORE MEXICO CITYMORE MEXICO CITY
MORE MEXICO CITY

as far as the eye can see sprawling away into the distance.
Big Flag!Big Flag!
Big Flag!

Mexicans love big flags!


13th June 2010

Good luck Steve and Sarah... stay safe!!! x
13th June 2010

hi love
hi both It sound crazy, manic and hopefully as fabulous as you imagined.. the traffic / roads sound mental and just how you imagine a kamakazi rally to be! Anyway off for a 'russ special' sunday dinner.. Roast beef (for them and quorn thing for me) plus cauli cheese, roasties and full mashings and then rhubard and ginger cake with clotted cream - yummy.. Looking forward to your next report, Take care Jayne and co x x
13th June 2010

mexico
sounds nice, have a great time over there. Wear lots of P20!! give love to You and Sarah sam, x

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0501s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb