Hectic Days on the Triumph . . .


Advertisement
Published: May 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Well I’ve been on the Carnival Triumph now for about a week and a half. It has been so hectic!

It’s always rather crazy signing onto a ship. When you don’t have a handover from the director you’re replacing, it means extra time getting things organized. There’s been lots of comings and goings of directors on this ship over the last couple months so there’s some things that were really needing a good look and organization. Add in how tired I was from the travel from one ship to another - early mornings for immigration and sign on - and the first few days were tough.

Then, just for some extra fun, my first port of call - Ocho Rios, Jamaica - was cancelled because the wind and waves made it impossible for us to safely dock. So it was a “surprise” day at sea. Rather than getting to catch up on sleep, I was up and rushing around to get things organized for an extra day full of activities. Normally we have these sorts of plans ready for this sort of thing but in my first two days on the ship, this wasn’t a top priority!

I only got off the ship in one port last cruise - Cozumel. But it was nothing exciting. I took a taxi into town to No Name Bar, the bar run by former crew members for crew members, and spent the afternoon catching up on various things I needed to do online.

So now, my second week on the Triumph and things should be settling down somewhat right? Well once or twice every year, medical trainers go onboard the ships for first aid and water rescue training. Each department has to have a few crew members do the training. When I was in the entertainment department, I volunteered to do this. Now that I’m in the youth department, we have to do this, even if we did it within the last year. So in addition to the regular work schedule, I’ve had medical trainings this cruise. And on top of that, in order to make it possible for other people in the department to attend their trainings, I’ve had to take on some extra duties. No rest here thus far!

It was my birthday the other day. The last two years on ships, I have had incredible birthdays: beautiful ports, great friends, good parties. This year was rather disappointing. It was a sea day so I worked about 11 hours. First thing the next morning I had first aid training so I couldn’t go too crazy. And while amongst all of this work, I have been going out every night and meeting fantastic people, it’s still not quite the same as being already settled with a group of friends to celebrate with.

Even with all of this chaos, I’m really happy to be here on the Triumph. There are so many people that I know here from previous contracts! A lot from my first contract, which is kind of crazy, it’s such a flashback to what seems like forever ago, even though it was only 2 years. It’s been great to catch up with various people. And of course there’s always new people to meet who are equally fantastic.

Next cruise things should be settled down work-wise. I should be able to get some proper sleep and feel more rested. I also should be able to get out in the ports and enjoy them. Then I’ll be all set to just enjoy myself and the people here and my time on the Triumph.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Birthday!Birthday!
Birthday!

Ivanna, Eric & me in the crew bar
Birthday!Birthday!
Birthday!

Nat, me & Ivanna in the disco
Birthday!Birthday!
Birthday!

Me & Nat in the disco
Hard WorkHard Work
Hard Work

Nat with the medical trainers
Crew PartyCrew Party
Crew Party

Youth Staff & the Medical Trainers
Reprsenting Canada!Reprsenting Canada!
Reprsenting Canada!

Me & Eric, the Circle C Director
Vanessa, Me & EricVanessa, Me & Eric
Vanessa, Me & Eric

Vanessa works in the Casino


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0474s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb