Interval Training on St. John


Advertisement
Published: March 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

March 18, 2010

Okay . . . so we were quick to judge . . . it’s true. Gallows Point is a nice resort if you want to be close to town and is definitely adorable in that bed and breakfast kind of way. That said, there’s still no beach, no pool, and pretty much shuts down around 10 PM. Keep in mind - we are New Yorkers who keep strange hours, and we are water sport lovers who vacation in the Caribbean so we can wave-run, paddle boat, snorkle and surf. So we were lucky, Expedia and Gallows were ever so gracious in allowing us to switch resorts -2 nights total at Gallows and then on to the Westin tomorrow.

Today was so much fun. We decided we would go for a run to Caneel and Trunk Bay to check out the resort that everyone says is the best on the island (Caneel Bay Resort) and to see one of the top ten most beautiful beaches in the world (Trunk Bay). This run quickly turned into a session in interval training. After running up the first hill and gasping to catch our breath at the top, we decided we would continue in this manner - running the hills (high intervals) and recovering by walking the flat road (low intervals). No joke - it became quite the workout.

We stopped for lunch at Caneel Bay Resort. Though beautiful, we’re not sure if it would have been worth the extraordinary prices. It’s full of sandy beaches, lush green grass, and of course, palm trees. It appeared that, like Gallows Point, everyone had their own bungalow, except that here they were extremely spread out - some were so distant from the main headquarters that they had to take golf carts around the resort.

After exploring a little, we headed on to Trunk Bay with many fun stops along the way . . . deer and donkeys that clearly had no problem with humans, lots of lizards everywhere, hermit crabs crawling out of their shells, and rustic trails leading to gorgeous outlook points. The trip was longer than we planned on but adventurous and a great workout!

Trunk Bay . . . what we believe must put this on the Top Ten list is the fact that the sand is possibly the finest and softest we’ve ever experienced and the water is perfect. We had read that the snorkeling was great but we didn’t see anything. We hope to possibly head back later in the week.

A taxi ride home to grab tasty smoothies, shower, watch Lost and get ready for dinner . . . we headed back downtown to Morgan’s Mango. This is a delicious Caribbean restaurant with generous drinks and scrumptious seafood. With a Jack Johnson-ish guitar player to cap it off it was a wonderful end to a fun-filled day.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0822s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb