Beaches and Sun


Advertisement
Published: January 25th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Sooo, the past two days we spent at beaches/going out in Port of Spain. On Friday we went to Chaguaramas beach, the owner of our hostel, Earle, took on a drive round the city and to see some other AMAZING beaches and then dropped us off so that we could spend the day there. Trinidadians are so eager to help - we'd only asked him what beach we should go to and he insisted on driving us there, giving us a tour and everything!! Anyway, we spent the day at Chaguaramas, which was pretty empty give that it was a Friday, but the sea was so warm (slightly ruined by the massive oil refinery in the background). We then got a 'maxitaxi' - basically a bus back to the flat. The traffic was HORRENDOUS, but Trinidadians dont seem to care!! I would hate to drive here!!!! Anyway, we got home home and had some dinner. Earlies cousin was insistent on taking us out in Port of Spain that night, so we watched some tutorials on how to wine (ha - its an experience) and set off to a club. Theres not much to say about it other than Trinidadians love to wine and dagger, they love their carnival songs and theyre really really friendly!! We stayed until the place closed - it was so much fun!!!!!! The next day, the same cousin took us to Maracas Bay, an AMAZING beach in the north of Trinidad - about a 45 minute drive up precarious hills, through rainforest and along windy roads. Its so beautiful, surrounded by trees and clear warm water. Also, the area is known for its specialty 'bake and shark' which is deep fried shark in this special bread with about 4 million toppings. IT WAS SO GOOD!!!! We headed home after, had a few drinks, played some card games and went to bed.



Today we were brought breakfast by Earlies wife. It was bake (this special bread) and some saltfish mix, which considering I hate fish, was really good- though probably not a breakfast food! We then went and met with out new landlord, who again spoke continuously about how boring his kids are, how much he wishes theyd go out, how he'll make them take us out, etc.. He also gave us some contacts for our fieldwork and sorted us a lift to Mayrao so we can explore the island some more! After that we wandering round the university campus, it was a REALLY hot day so we took it slow. We also managed to gain a stray dog who wouldnt let anyone come near us, guarded us and definitely had flees and probably rabies! We also made another friend on the way home, Raj. We were in the shop buying some food and he started chatting to us and gave us his number incase we were ever lost/wanted advice on what to do etc.. (told you they are so friendly!!) .



Tonight were planning on watching some films and chilling etc. So ill be back in touch in a few days! xx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb