Caribbean Cruise - St Lucia


Advertisement
Published: December 10th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Up at 7.00am as we had arranged to meet another couple at 8.00am to share a taxi to Soufriere. The usual trip hustlers at the port, offering a variety of trips with different prices but eventually settled on a taxi trip to Soufriere (with Diamond International) , taking in a few fishing villages, the volcano and maybe a waterfall for US$40 each.
A pleasant enough journey up the Morne Fortune mountain, past the colonial style, Governor Generals residence to a view point with marvellous views of Castries Harbour ! On to Cul-de-Sac Valley with its banana plantations before passing Marigot Bay, a palm fringed cove where the rainforest reaches right down to the waters edge.
A quick stop and a wander at Anse La Raye and then onto Soufriere and views of the Pitons that are thought to be spines of lava thrust up from the craters of two volcanos! About a two mile drive from Soufriere took us to the ‘drive in’ volcano – the only one in the world! Its basically, as Chris put it, a smoking quarry with muddy rock pools and a terrible smell ( sulphur!!)
We decided not to do the waterfalls hoping for a longer visit to Soufriere but our taxi driver had other ideas and drove us back to Canaries, where he was persuaded to stop for 10minutes so that we could have a look at the beach! He was clearly on a mission to get back to Castries and we were dropped off in the centre of Castries, as we wanted to see the Cathedral, which turned out to be an interesting 19thC Roman Catholic Cathedral with wooden columns and bright Caribbean holy roof paintings.
Back to the ship fairly early at 2.00pm where we lazed around for the rest of the day, before setting sail at 5.00pm.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



10th December 2014

Looks Amazing
It all looks great and it seems like you are having fun. Glad you escaped the weather bomb here!! Take care x

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0745s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb