Butterflies, Birthdays and Chinese in Belize


Advertisement
Published: February 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

A great way to get around.A great way to get around.A great way to get around.

On the water taxi heading back to the port, watching the St. Lucia coastline whiz by.
On the right wing of a butterfly.

As I have mentioned before, the route that we currently sail is called a Butterfly route in the cruising industry. This means that we do both the western and eastern Caribbean. Last week we were cruising the western side of the Caribbean and today we are cruising back to our home port from the eastern Caribbean.

The crew activities are going well at this point and last week when we were in Panama, I managed to get off the ships with some of my friends for about two hours and good and look for more decorations. It is amazing how cheap things are to buy in Panama. So I managed to get coloured ribbons for the stoplight party, water guns and balloons for the wet party and buy myself a little something too. The stoplight party was a blast, all night we hung out made good conversations and gossip about what colour of ribbons everyone is wearing. HAHAH, the joke with some people was that they would wear all three colour of ribbons. Red Yellow and Green, all aligned like a stop light on their arm.

The hotel director was one of these people. She is 50 and a German/Iranian lady. Most people don’t like her, but I do. I think people are just intimidated by her. And as most of you know, it takes a mighty frightening person for me to be intimidated, so I get along with her. I asked her why she was wearing all three ribbons and she just laughed and said that she hadn’t made up her mind yet. I said, I had my own theory and she wanted to hear. So I said, it’s a little dirty you don’t want to know. But she insisted, I said, “Well the green ribbon is to start the night - you are looking but by the time midnight comes you move onto yellow ribbon as you are half in the bag, and by the end of the night you are wearing the red ribbon because you are hammered and it doesn’t really matter”. She laughed and said that she was going to stick with that theory.

When we arrived in Belize three days later, I got off the ship with a bunch of people from the Entertainment Department and we went for Chinese in Belize. HEHEH it makes me laugh thinking of that. It was actually quite good, although we all joked that the meat was cat or rat. After lunch Jen, Sam, Luke and I went to the Casino and tried out luck. I lost nuff’ said. Rob the Training and Development Manager that was covering for Vanessa, signed off the ship and flew to Miami for the Manager Conference. So I am alone until Feb 20 when Vanessa arrives again. WOO HOO, I get to run the centre all by myself. First things first, CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN. Rob wasn’t very tidy. When we arrived at our homeport I had to make it to a mall as quickly as possible to buy the rest of the materials for the crew activities for the month. So I picked up the rest of the candy for the candy grams and looked for some new grocery items to spice up my Staff Mess dining experiences. I hope my new multigrain wraps do the trick.

This week was our favourite Hallmark Holiday - Valentines Day. As part of the crew activities this month, I was doing a Candy Gram Rose exchange for the crew if they wanted. Well it
When your popular...When your popular...When your popular...

My Training Centre full Valentines to be delivered.
was a HIT. Everyone loved it and bought loads of goodies for their Valentine’s. And just when I thought that it couldn’t get any worse because I didn’t have a Valentine on board, I decided that I was going to out some of the Jube Jube hearts that I bought for myself to comfort my sorrows, and flicking past our crew TV channel, low and behold Kelly Clarkson’s “The Trouble with Love Is”, comes on. I nearly choked on my friggin’ jube jubes. That’s irony, I’m tellin’ ya! But I was shocked to know that I had 6 yellow roses and some chocolate covered strawberries sent to me. WHAT IS THIS?, apparently I have a secret admirer. I’m a little scared of this, considering I am on the cruise to ugly. But it was so nice to receive them I almost cried. THANK YOU SECRET ADMIRER.

As we are heading to the eastern/southern part of the Caribbean again, I just refer to them as the ‘St.’ Islands. I am soooo excited because we will be meeting up with the Valor which is another one of our ships, and Andrea the Quebecois girl that was in my college with me
Secret Admirer?Secret Admirer?Secret Admirer?

The flowers I received.
and is their corporate trainer will be there. We plan on going to the beach and having lunch with one another. This week is also Jeanette’s birthday and Supper Club.

After meeting up with Andrea, it recharged my batteries. I was happy to meet up with someone else who is doing what I am doing and can talk to the same troubles and obstacles as me. It’s just different. I love chatting with my co-workers and friends onboard, but it’s different to see a face that you don’t see every turn around the ship. We talked about life, work, money, home, friends and promotions. We had lunch at a nice place on the promenade by the ocean in St. Maarten and then walked back to the ship. I wanted to tour the Valor as it is a different class of ship than I am on. But I forgot one of my name badges so I couldn’t. But next time I will. Andrea is great, we are the exact same ‘print re: many entries ago’, so we know what makes each other tick.

Last time I reported that St. Lucia was ok, and similar to Punta Cana, yes the
Global FriendsGlobal FriendsGlobal Friends

Jeanette, Marliza - South African Social Host, and I.
beaches in my opinion are still the same, but other than that I was wrong!!! About 12 of us took cabs to a place called Marigot Bay. BREATHTAKING!!! @ 5$ a person and 30 minutes and 400 near death experiences, we managed to see the postcard like landscapes of St. Lucia on the bay to the Bay. Once we got there, we took a minute to take it all in. I am telling you, it was like a scene from Pirates of the Caribbean. A little bay inset from the Ocean and the lush green mountains. I will definitely be going back there. For the day we decided that many show tunes, Disney and favourite songs needed to be sung. It was also Jeanette’s actual birthday, she was taking it all in with a drink in hand and a grin from ear to ear. How many people can say they are with 12 new friends laying on a beach in St. Lucia? I think she has a great day. When it was time to go home we had the choice that we could either, take regular cabs back to the ship taking the same route, or take water taxis back. I managed to finagle with a local to take all of us by water taxi for a great price. We could get back to the ship in about half the original time and get to see the coast line of St. Lucia. It was an easy choice as far as some of us were concerned. Later that night was the Super Bingo/Pajama/Movie night crew activity in the Firebird Lounge. When creating the crew activities I thought wouldn’t it be great to have a movie night were we could all cuddle up and just relax. I wore my little booty shorts and a see through tank top - nah, I wore my most comfortable outfit I had, and loved it. We watched Saw 3. It wasn’t as good as the first 2 and some people needed to leave as it was a might gruesome.

I set my alarm clock for 9:30 pm not am so was unable to get off the ship in St. Kitts with Jeanette, Richard and the others. I woke up to Jeanette knocking on the door. I felt horrible that I made the mistake, but in all honesty I slept for a while. Which tells me
Tequila and the DiscoTequila and the DiscoTequila and the Disco

Here we are at the Disco insistant on a shot of tequila. Luke - Dancer, Chris - Production Singer and I.
that I needed the sleep. I then opened the training centre and taught one of the engine patrollers more English. He is very thankful and I am more than happy to teach him what I know. Later that evening it was time for Super Club. Super Club is like a 5 star dining experience, there are many courses through the evening and all decedent and rich and amazing. Richard, Kristina, Jeanette, Marlize and I went. It was awesome to go and sit there in our fancy outfits and just enjoy the evening. We all got a little tipsy, well a lot tipsy. Who knew three Cosmo’s would do that to a person. We gave Jeanette her birthday gifts and then after dinner went to get some formal photos taken. I looked at them today and they are definitely hilarious. We all have the ‘we ate too much and am drunk’ looks on our faces.

This week has been great. I got to run the centre my way and teach some English classes and make sure that the events went well. There are a lot of crew members’ families onboard right now and it is so nice to meet some
Disco FriendsDisco FriendsDisco Friends

Shannon - Dancer and Jeanette's Roommate Ty - Production Singer and Moi.
new people. But what makes me more excited is that Kristen and her Cousin Kim are coming to sail on Feb 28. I am so excited I could piddle in my pants. I really like the people around me, and think they are all fantastic, but I miss home, and miss the people that I normally surround myself around too. So it is nice to have a little piece of home with me here. I plan on taking them horseback ridding on the beach and in the ocean in St. Maarten. We will definitely go to Marigot Bay when we are in St. Lucia and I think St. Kitts we will do a rainforest tour. But that all depends on the availability of course.

I hope all of you had a great Valentines and next year I will be sure to stay away from the jube jube hearts.

Talk to you all soon,
Brooks



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



22nd February 2007

b&b&c&b
First of all Shannon looks alot like me huh i wish Brooks ypur pics are great .
22nd February 2007

Jealous
Brooks what an AMAZING adventure you are on!!! I LOVE the pics and the stories......I almost feel like I am there.

Tot: 0.183s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0635s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb