Day 3: Ceiba Airport, Playa Flamenco in Culebra, and the Big Cat Express


Advertisement
Published: August 7th 2013
Edit Blog Post

This day was the most anticipated of the trip. We were heading to the world renown Playa Flamenco in Culebra, an island off the coast of Puerto Rico. We started out the day by driving the rental car down to the Ceiba Airport. It was not easy to find due to the street signage. Luckily we had the help of some locals who were biking and we followed them the whole way to the airport. Once there, we proceeded to check in and waited for our flight on a puddle jumper plane from Air Flamenco. It was amazing! I videoed it the whole time and while in the sky we could see smaller islands as well as Playa Flamenco, rated as one of the best beaches in the world. When we landed there were publicos waiting to take us to paradise! It was only $3.00 a person one way.

Once we got to the beach, there were many Kioskos that sold everything from cerveza to pinchos (meat on a stick). They had stands that sold pina coladas, beer, rice, beans, french fries, etc. As we walked to the beach, we saw the beauty immediately. The gorgeous green lush trees contrasted well with the light blue water as clear as a swimming pool. Depending on the time of the day, we saw the color change from light blue to light green. There were many people as it was the Puerto Rician holiday season and they had umbrellas and chairs for rent. We got us two umbrellas and laid out our beach mats and hit the water. It was amazing! The water was so clear and calmer than the Condado waves we are used to. Due to a storm the night before, the waves were higher than before, but they still were calm enough for us. After a while, we got hungry and decided to get some food from the beach huts. We got the chicken pinchos, local beer Medalla, and french fries. The pinchos were delicious! They really hit the spot. We stayed for several hours until it was time for us to catch the ferry back.

We caught the publico back to Dewey where the ferry terminal was. We got in line and got our tickets, which was no problem to get. The ferry we were taking was the "Big Cat Express" and luckily it only took 45 to get back to Fajardo. From there we took a publico/taxi back to the Ceiba Airport and got our rental car back. Then onto San Juan back to the hotel, another 45 minutes. What an amazing day!!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0509s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb