Puerto Limon and Panama Canal


Advertisement
Panama's flag
Central America Caribbean » Panama
January 9th 2008
Published: January 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

PUERTO LIMON AND THE PANAMA CANAL


After leaving Cayman Island, we headed for Costa Rica. The entertainment the first time was a surprise. Regis and Joy Philbin are on board -they leave tomorrow, so they were the first entertainers. It was a good show, but not what you’d call great. Then, the next night, we were in for a real treat. Our day at sea ended with a concert by Carlos Bonell, a classical guitarist. He was a genius on that instrument - he made it just sing. Everyone was so impressed that we requested another performance before he left the ship, and this afternoon was a wonderful repeat. He is in the process of composing a guitar concert with Paul McCartney which should be completed later this year.
We booked an interesting tour in Puerto Limon. It was an aerial tram ride through the rain forest. The two hour ride was by air conditioned bus, and went quickly with the help of our guide. When we got to the tram, we were put in cars of six people and a guide, and began at the floor of the forest, rising to the middle, and finally getting to the canopy with lovely views of everything around us. We saw Tucans and blue butterflies, and many varieties of orchids and other plants including a “broccoli” tree. Our guide also brought along a small banana plant which held several “hands”, and fifteen-twenty” fingers” each which eventually become a bunch of bananas weighing 40 or more pounds, and then that plant dies, but another has started to take its place. It was a very interesting tour.
Today we entered the Panama Canal. This is so fascinating. The locks and the mules that pull the ships are amazing. We were next to another passenger ship, and it seemed to be getting taller and taller but, of course, we were going down as the water in our lock emptied our slot, and they just stayed the same height in their slot. I hope to get pictures on this entry. I’m having a bit of trouble, but maybe this time??
Tonight we anchor off Puerto Amador and will take a tour by rail of the Canal Zone. More later



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



10th January 2008

The bananac
Almost exactly ten years ago we all bought something very similar to this in appearance in Florence. It was a gelato for 22,000 lire. Remember???

Tot: 0.154s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 15; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0895s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb