Pimp my Ride - Panama Style


Advertisement
Published: June 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Intricate artwork on a Panamanian chicken busIntricate artwork on a Panamanian chicken busIntricate artwork on a Panamanian chicken bus

I sense the bus driver doesn't have much of a life away from his bus!
Throughout Central America, chicken buses have been ever obvious, decorated to greater or lesser degrees as they chug along roads and through towns, conductors shouting from the doors s they pass, trying to entice people on board. Many of these buses have been changed from the standard yellow American school bus style and given a more Central American style!

When we arrived in Panama City though, we realised the obsession with decorating buses has been taken to a whole new level. Buses are decorated in incredibly ornate styles with intricately designed murals covering the buses. The skill of the artists is really quite amazing. Neon lights are often fitted around the edge of the buses, one bus we saw even looked like the Coca Cola "Holidays are coming" advert as it was so covered in strips of red lights.

Fog horns are sounded to warn you of the buses imminent approach as they hurtle down the street, plenty of time to get the camera out and get a few pictures. Here are pictures of some of our favourite, most outrageously decorated buses in and around Panama City. Enjoy....


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Brightly painted bus near to ColonBrightly painted bus near to Colon
Brightly painted bus near to Colon

Now with added go faster fins!
Super wide, huge exhausts have been fittedSuper wide, huge exhausts have been fitted
Super wide, huge exhausts have been fitted

To give that racing car sound as they rally drive along the streets


Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 69; dbt: 0.1044s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb