Two hemispheres, two continents, two seasons and four countries in one day


Advertisement
Published: May 16th 2014
Edit Blog Post

A rainy day in BogotaA rainy day in BogotaA rainy day in Bogota

Note the Follow Me vehicle followed by a caravan of construction vehicles. It reminded me of a mother duck followed my her ducklings.
9 May 2014. What a way to wrap up a hectic schedule. This day started at 12:47 am. It was supposed to start at 12:30 am, but the front desk forgot to give us a wake up call and my standby travel alarm also failed us. Only Linda's internal clock woke us up in time to meet Juan, our guide, and driver at 1:30 am. One thing about going to airports at this time, and especially so in La Paz, is that there is no traffic. So we made it with plenty of time to catch our 4:40 am flight to Bogota, Columbia. Juan stood in line for us, calling us as he got to the check in desk. Great service! We made it through immigration, with the officers just as gruff as those we encountered when entering the country. The immigration officials were the only Bolivians who were unfriendly to us. We enjoyed Bolivia despite only being there two days, and will have to return someday to visit Sucre, Potosi, and Uyuni.

I never sleep on planes, but this was the exception. Linda had the window seat and since we had the three seats in the row to ourselves, I laid down with my legs on her lap and head on the arm rest so slept most of the 3 hour flight to Bogota. We were greeted with our first rainy day, but it didn't matter as we weren't leaving the terminal. We will likely return to Colombia, if only to Cartegena. So after a short transit, we were caught the hour long flight to Panama City, Panama. We had the option of four hours in Bogota and four hours in Panama City or one and eight respectively. We took the eight in Panama City, which as it turned out was more than enough to see what I wanted to see.

Linda decided not to join me on the tour, choosing instead to read her book at the transit lounge. She asked that I get back as soon as possible. It took 45 minutes to clear customs and immigration, and then I had to figure out the best way to see the sights. The tourism desk said there was a tour bus costing $30 leaving at 1 pm which would return by 5 pm; cutting it close to our 7 pm departure. The other option was a taxi which she said would cost $100. As I strode to the tour bus desk, taxi drivers would bargain with me. They finally brought the price down to $60. Mindful of Linda's desire that I do this quickly, I selected the taxi option.

My first stop was the Miraflores Locks on the Panama Canal. However, on the way there it was obvious when we entered the former Canal Zone and what used to be Camp Clayton. Having been responsible for military installations, I could immediately identify former barracks and family housing, commissaries and base exchanges, chapels, headquarters buildings, etc. Everything was still well maintained. Just beyond the base was the locks. I had to pay $15 just to get through the museum to see the locks. I just missed seeing a cargo ship pass through the locks. I noted that the Canal was celebrating its hundredth birthday. Since I had paid for the museum, I decided to spend some time there. Most of what was presented in the displays is information I already knew, having recently read books about President TR Roosevelt who was a major force in getting the canal built. So I didn't linger.

Our next stop was the old city and the promenade which provides outstanding views of the city with its many tall buildings. I had thought these buildings housed offices, but they are mostly apartment buildings. So after walking around in what was hot and humid weather, I decided to cut it short and return to the airport and Linda.

I had four hours until the flight departed and nothing to do. I asked information whether there was a book shop. They said no. I eventually found one, but their choices were poor. The clerk found a Miami Herald, and I was about to pay $1 for it, and a man from LA said that he wasn't able to buy it because the clerk didn't have change for a $50. So I bought it for him, much to his surprise. I returned to the information desk to ask about wifi. They said it was only available at Gate 23...too far a walk after having walked my legs off earlier. I sat twiddling my thumbs then noticed someone on their smart phone who confirmed that wifi was freely available. The information desk was worthless as far as providing information. My time on the internet was limited to my battery life...a bit over an hour.

Time passed slowly and soon we were on our 2 1/2 hour flight to Cancun. As we disembarked the place, the drug sniffer dogs paid too much attention to my backpack, necessitating the unpacking of said pack to show that I was not a drug smuggler. Luckily, Linda had used her better judgement and got rid of the coco tea before leaving Bolivia. Once in the baggage claim area, we were informed that there would be an hour delay as all luggage was being screened. We eventually cleared customs and immigration, and found the hotel shuttle waiting for us. We arrived at the hotel reception desk just before midnight...a long day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Panama City skylinePanama City skyline
Panama City skyline

I tired to get a picture of the pelicans diving for fish but only got the splashes.


17th May 2014

Long day
Those 24 hour days will age you. Glad you slept on the plane. I'm usually asleep before take off. Glad you got to see the locks.
17th May 2014

panama canal
I shall enjoy reading your adventures properly when I get home Bob . Have always wanted to do the Panama Canal and the Corinth canal . Two iconic places in the world
18th June 2014

wow
Just read your profile info and WOW. So . impressive. And i do not think your goal is anywhere near trivial. We must set goals to look forward. If I didn't i would never have made it to all 7 continents or just recently hit my 44 th country. I'm afraid my goal is even loftier. ...i want to visit every country. We'll see. Thanks so much for sharing and i look forward to reading more.
5th August 2018

Panama City, Fort Clayton, Quarry Heights, and environs in Panama
Bob, that is quite a whirlwind tour. Yes, we lived on Fort Clayton 1981-84. We enjoyed my off-duty times as well as one could since I was a walking dead zombie much of the time. We fished in Lake Gamboa, a few miles north of Fort Clayton. Lake Gamboa had a split railroad and automobile bridge. I recall driving the family in our Dodge van to the automobile bridge where you waited for a green light to proceed on the one lane road across. Good fishing for peacock bass. One trip at Lake Gamboa the van wouldn't start. The Guardia Nacional gave us a jump start. We also went to a hotel casino in Panama City where my wife played blackjack and I would play the slots for pocket change and a big more. Local markets had a great selection of fruits, veggies, and meats, esp. seafood. Oldest son Sy went to Balboa High School, played football; youngest son Jeremy went to kindergarten and 1st grade. I worked the NARC (Non-Automatic Relay Center) in Corozal which was a part of the store and forward AUTODIN message switching era; and later at the CINCSOUTH communications center at Quarry Heights. We changed the keycards in the secure phone at the residence of General Nutting and later General Gorman. Our facility was an R/Y facility handling front channel and back channel messages using our DCT 9000, Model 40 teletypes, and older teletypes. We processed daily about 2,000 messages. This included making copies, a full box of 12 reams of photocopy paper per day. I worked 12 hour shifts as a shift supervisor. My wife didn't drive so I took our five children to their medical, eye, dental and other appts. That is why I was always a walking zombie. LOL We supported the ongoing exercises in Honduras which were in preparation for an invasion of Nicaragua. Family enjoyed the fishing, catching crabs in wire mesh traps, collecting mangoes/other fruits, and enjoying the tropical climate that was much like Thailand. Back to commo: We supported the British in the Falklands War in 1982. I saw the Atlantic Conveyor pass north thru the Panama Canal. This commercial ship was modified to be a helicopter carrier. The Argentinians sank it with an Exocet missing. Oh, sleeping on planes is next to impossible for me. Those 30 hours getting from Thailand to the U.S. and the return are hard on me. Our last trip to the U.S. in 2014: On our return to Thailand in August we were stopped at a military road block with one policeman in charge. He thought I was drunk! He asked for cookies from America. My wife explained that we had cookies in one of our many bags. My wife's girlfriend traveled with us so we had six bags/suitcases and our carry ons. We live in a benevolent dictatorship where the Thais have little democracy.

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 18; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0577s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb