March 27, 2008


Advertisement
Panama's flag
Central America Caribbean » Panama » Coclé
March 27th 2008
Published: January 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Another week has passed and more amazing things have taken place. I spent the weekend in Santa Catolina. I drove up with some friends and spent the weekend surfing and camping. Panama doesn't sell alcohol for the Thrusday, Friday, and Saturday of Semana Santa. We didn't relize that until we drove up to this secluded surf community. Needless to say we spent most of the weekend very sober, except for Saturday night. They stopped the prohibition at midnight and everyone spent the night around giant bomb fires on the beach drinking abuelo, the rum named after grandpa. Sunday was a little rough, but I spent it in the back of a car sleeping on the way home.

Monday was another work day. Joli, Luis, and I dove up into the hills to build rice patties. First the 20 meter x 20 meter patties had to be cleared of all roots and debris. Two men assitsted us with shovels, picks, and rakes. Then the cleaned area had to be handplucked of any debris that may interupt the small fragile seedlings growth. When the area was FULLY cleaned we measured out perfect rows with sticks and rope and planted rice in the mud. The finished product was beautiful. We ate a lunch consiting of chicken, rice, and fried plantans and drank lemon chicha. After we were done with lunch we jumped in a fresh water river and cleaned our selves with bars of soap. After every one was dry we hiked the two miles back up the mountain. Along the way we were able to see our work. It was very satisfying. We spent the rest of the evening watching novellas on TV.




Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Break my backBreak my back
Break my back

me and Luis planting rice


Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0495s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb