Muy trista a salir Panama


Advertisement
Published: January 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We had a very long day today! It started at 0600!! OH YEAH, that sucked. We went to the Gamboa Rainforest to go on a Monkey Island tour. That was super fun...I thought. There were a few people who did not agree, Michael being one them. It was $36 for an hour tour on a boat. I was able to get the best seat in the house which was right next to the driver and the tour guide. We were able to see Howler Monkeys, unfortunately they did not make their howler noise. There was a little baby howler who was just as happy as can be eating fruit from the tree. They did not seem agressive at all. Then we went a little bit further to the Monkey Island where the Capùchin Monkeys were. The driver was making actual monkey noises to make them come close. Finally one came down and I thought he was going to jump on my head!! It was the coolest thing. He just jumped onto the awning of the boat and then went back into the trees. Our guide was feeding them bananas trying to make them get on the boat but they were fighting with other over who got the piece of fruit. So we moved over to another section and they just kept getting more agressive, so for our safety our guide decided to leave them alone. We also saw a sloth and a Tucan. It was really awesome!!

There were some ladies on the boat who did not think the tour guide did a good job. They asked if they could get close because they wanted to feed them from their hands. The guide said No and it was because they were to agressive. The ladies started bitching saying they got a lot closer on the other boat they took yesterday. So long story short, they yelled at him and asked him if he was proud of what he did and then went to the hotel and demanded their money back. I told him not to worry about it, that I thought it was good tour and to hell with them. He busted up laughing at this.

After that we went to have ice cream in Casco Veijo, which means the old quarter, it´s also know as Old Panama. This country has a lot of history which I won´t bore any with in the blog. We also went up to Cerro Ancon...when the Americans owned the Canal the USA flag was flown on this hill. Then during one of Panamas uprisings, a group of panamaian students tried to over take the hill and were shot and killed by us. Today the Panama flag flies on this hill thanks to Jimmy Carter who gave them back the Canal.

And the last but not least, we went to the Miraflores Locks and saw 2 container ships come in. It was pretty impressive. One thing I do remember is the gates in the locks are the original from 1914. It took these ships 2 days before they could enter the canal. First they have to have the appropriate paperwork and then payment must be in made...in cash, no personal checks or credit cards...LOL Then it takes about a half hour for them to enter the locks. It was really cool to watch this happen.

Now, Michael and I are staying at a hostel in the city for one night and then we will move to a hotel near the airport tomorrow. We will be relaxing by the pool pretty much all day. I will probably write one more time before we board the plane.

I¨m very sad and can´t wait to come back, there is so much I didn´t get to see.

PURA VIDA!!!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0344s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb